PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless entry remote & engine start

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Default Keyless entry remote & engine start

Hi, I just joined the forum, bought a 2003 H2 couple of months ago and love it, off road and on. Problem I have is that I have to press the keyless entry remote "open" button to start the engine, regardless of whether or not the vehicle was/is locked or not. Other words, if i get out of the H2, say at the gas station, don't lock it, and get back in, I have to press the "open" button at least once before the key will start the engine. Is this normal? Can't find anything in the book.
From Sunny Tucson

Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Default RE: Keyless entry remote & engine start

Is the security light lit on the dash when this happens?

When I got my 04, there was an extra fob on my keychain that I had no clue what it was.Didn't appear to have any buttons, no words/logos, just a little led light on it. I'd get in the truck and sometimes it would start, I'd screw arund w/ lock/unlock on the regular keyfob. Finally get it started after pissing around a bit. Security light never lit up though. I had 3 alarm installers search the truck to rip out that system, non of them could find any sign of an alarm. I finally busted that damn keyfob open and found an fcc number and a couple hours of searching found a little ****ty site w/ similar alarm for a motorcycle. Figured out it was a dealer installed security system. The keyfob was a motion activated proximity sensor.

The entire alarm consisted of this- Factory starter relay was pulled and replaced w/ this relay from the security alarm company... The entire alarm system was built into the relay, same size as regular relay. No antenna sticking out, no extra wires run, nothing... Pulled that bitch out, replaced it w/ regular relay...havn't had an issue since.

Went and showed the previous installers what little security device defeated them all...non of them ever heard of such a system. But if you think about it, for a dealer this is ideal. No wires to run, just yank a relay and replace it.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 AM

Never heard that before......

Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the reply, never heard of a relay based security system either, but I can see the advantages. The problem I have must be in the internal security system, every time I turn the key off I have to press the unlock/open button to start the engine. It's not a real problem unless you're blocking the pumps at a gas station and the remote has slipped off the keychain and been run over, I've noticed that people don't appreciate big orange H2s much anyway, and they're even less understanding when you're blocking their gas.
Another subject, I'm new to the Hummer world, but as an observation, there seems to be profiling. Couple of weeks ago my son and I took the Hummer to Mexico for a beach camping/scuba trip. We were stopped by American Military Security Police, Mexican Police and finally the Border Patrol on return, nothing serious, just detained for a few minutes and questioned, searched once. We've been the same route several times before in other vehicles and never stopped. Maybe it's just the area of the country we live in.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: HummBob

It's the same principle as the Corvettes with the push button start... you have a little fob in your pocket to unlock the doors and allow you to start it...

I thought your wifes Escalade had that Bob?? or am I thinking of someone else??

Old 11-22-2008, 01:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

ORIGINAL: HummBob

It's the same principle as the Corvettes with the push button start... you have a little fob in your pocket to unlock the doors and allow you to start it...

I thought your wifes Escalade had that Bob?? or am I thinking of someone else??
Gotcha......Yeah, her's is OEM, I have an aftermarket starter/alarm on The Princess!!

I thought he was asking about OEM and I knew they didn't have that in 2003........

Old 12-21-2008, 02:19 PM

is there a aftermarket keyless entry/remote start on your vehicle? . If so the factory security system was not bypassed properly. You need to find a shop that is familiar with this vehicle, cause they can be very tricky.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:36 AM

No, the whole truck is OEM. It's still under extended warranty, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an easy fix before I took it to the dealer. Guess I'll deal with the dealer, I'll post the results. 'Nother topic, I was looking at utube videos on Hummers and I think I figured out why I keep getting stopped by Border Patrol/Mex Police & Military etc ever time we drive down to San Carlos, from the videso it looks like Hummer is the vehicle of choice for both sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDITP...eature=related