PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob issues in the morning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Default Key fob issues in the morning?

I'm having a weird problem that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. I park in the garage overnight and the car is perfectly fine starting in the morning and driving to work. When I get to work, the key fob will not work when I try to lock the car, and I have to open the door and hit the "lock" button. When I go back out for lunch the fob works fine, along with the rest of the day and night. It only happens when I first get to work.
This has happened about 7 out of the last 9 mornings. It's not the car battery because I can get out of the car, try the key fob, which won't work, but put the key in the ignition and the car starts completely normally. I tried replacing the battery in the fob and it makes no difference. This just started as it's getting colder, so I assume it's something temp related. Right now it only happens in the morning and I can deal with it, but as we get fully into winter, I'm worried the fob might stop working all together.
Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by TowDawg
I'm having a weird problem that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. I park in the garage overnight and the car is perfectly fine starting in the morning and driving to work. When I get to work, the key fob will not work when I try to lock the car, and I have to open the door and hit the "lock" button. When I go back out for lunch the fob works fine, along with the rest of the day and night. It only happens when I first get to work.
This has happened about 7 out of the last 9 mornings. It's not the car battery because I can get out of the car, try the key fob, which won't work, but put the key in the ignition and the car starts completely normally. I tried replacing the battery in the fob and it makes no difference. This just started as it's getting colder, so I assume it's something temp related. Right now it only happens in the morning and I can deal with it, but as we get fully into winter, I'm worried the fob might stop working all together.
Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

i advice to try opening it up and blow the dust/dirt out.
if not i don't know maybe you will need to reprogram it? i can't really tell just trying to give some possible answers.. i found this site very useful when i had to reprogram the keys to my nissan.. maybe you can have a look at it and see if you will be able to find some useful info Lost Car Keys | Lost Car Key Replacement | Replacement Car Keys they got an area where you will find programming procedures for various makes.. cheers!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the reply.
It looks like I just got a "dud" battery in the pack I bought the other day. I figured I'd try the other battery that came in the pack, and now everything werks just like it should. I guess it was a low battery even one of the "new" ones lol) that didn't like the cold.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by TowDawg
Thanks for the reply.
It looks like I just got a "dud" battery in the pack I bought the other day. I figured I'd try the other battery that came in the pack, and now everything werks just like it should. I guess it was a low battery even one of the "new" ones lol) that didn't like the cold.

LOL! whew! glad you got that sorted out! no worries.. cheers mate!