Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Installed oil catch can and this is what I caught

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 12:11 AM
Default Installed oil catch can and this is what I caught

Little Back Story. when I got this H2 like most they always come with issues. one of mine was the random misfire, blue smoke on start ups. 02 Sensors, dead cat. Well after addressing all the issues few still persist occasional start up blue and occasional non code throwing misfire subtle but i could still sense it. oils changes showed I was loosing oil. pretty sure it was goin into the intake so I installed this catch can and well this confirms it. now have to figure out what is the fix for this? current plan is to pull valve cover to see how the orifice valve and drains are doing and also have valve stem seals to replace and see how much this reduces the amount of oil blow out.
any one have any other tests to run or suggestions?

Old 01-09-2022, 03:21 PM

6.0's are notorious for this and there is not a whole lot you can do. There is an updated valve cover with different orfice and pcv valve but your catch can is accomplishing the same thing. Drive it!

I think al LS engines require a catch can, I put one on my new 2019 6.2 and it catches oil too.

Tim

Old 01-09-2022, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sam!
Little Back Story. when I got this H2 like most they always come with issues. one of mine was the random misfire, blue smoke on start ups. 02 Sensors, dead cat. Well after addressing all the issues few still persist occasional start up blue and occasional non code throwing misfire subtle but i could still sense it. oils changes showed I was loosing oil. pretty sure it was goin into the intake so I installed this catch can and well this confirms it. now have to figure out what is the fix for this? current plan is to pull valve cover to see how the orifice valve and drains are doing and also have valve stem seals to replace and see how much this reduces the amount of oil blow out.
any one have any other tests to run or suggestions?

I installed a moroso one on my 08 6.2. Caught 2 tablespoons in 100 miles! Definitely a must have.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:48 PM

Yup - I had the Moroso one on mine as well. Caught quite a lot of crud with it.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Yup - I had the Moroso one on mine as well. Caught quite a lot of crud with it.
Yeah you have me the idea in fact. Thanks! Absolutely necessary with the supercharger. Apparently the coating on the rotors can be damaged by fluids.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:51 PM

I will be looking at the orifice on the valve cover and see how it looks if its just cleaning needed or may go with the updated one, and since I have the Stem seals will throw them on as well. and be done, Since installing the catch can the slight miss is gone, now to clean some of the build up with seafoam.

Originally Posted by tharber
6.0's are notorious for this and there is not a whole lot you can do. There is an updated valve cover with different orifice and pcv valve but your catch can is accomplishing the same thing. Drive it!

I think al LS engines require a catch can, I put one on my new 2019 6.2 and it catches oil too.

Tim

Old 01-10-2022, 06:22 PM

Its not necessarily the orifice that has been changed its the baffling that's been updated to prevent the oil from getting to the orifice (designed better to allow the oil to drain back to the head).

Neal

Old 01-11-2022, 07:23 AM

Here is a very old link about the revised valve cover:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...nstall.251305/

Tim

Old 01-11-2022, 08:03 AM

that's a good explanation of the changes, thanks for sharing

Neal

Old 01-12-2022, 11:35 PM

This article sums it up this is what I will need, I was thinking cleaning build up on the baffle would do it but it is way different and more restricted baffle.

Originally Posted by tharber
Here is a very old link about the revised valve cover:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...nstall.251305/

Tim

Quick Reply: Installed oil catch can and this is what I caught