Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Hummer 2008 - Location of OEM Rear Camera Video Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 10:57 AM
Default Hummer 2008 - Location of OEM Rear Camera Video Wiring?

I have a 2008 H2 and I am upgrading from the OEM radio (UVA) to the OEM Navigation (UVB). Had the VIN programmed to the OEM navigation and it works great. Now I need to split the rear camera video that appears on the rearview mirror so that I get an image on the navigation unit when I go into reverse. I bought the mirror conversion wiring from infotainment.com so I can add the wires to the back of the OEM harness to the navigation. And I confirmed that the UVA wiring includes the VSS signal wiring to trigger the nav to switch to video. Now I just need to find the video wire that goes to the rearview mirror! They say is is blue and blue/white behind the kick panel, but I don't see it.

I have poked around where all the wiring from the rear comes up on the passenger side, and I cannot figure out which wire bundle is that rear video. Anyone know what to look for?

Here is a photo of all the wiring behind the passenger kick panel... that grey connector circled in red looks like coax maybe?

Anyone done this and can give me some pointers?

Old 12-04-2022, 12:50 PM

Diagrams show it to have White and Lt Blue wires for video signal, pins 1 and 2 on the mirror circuit
its pins 6 and 7 on the X4 connector at the radio,

Still looking

Neal

Old 12-04-2022, 01:21 PM

starts at the camera, connector X413 Chassis harness to RearView camera harness (UVC) at rear body mount drivers side frame rail
main harness travels up frame rail to the X104 Chassis harness to Instrument panel harness connector near the under hood fuse panel
then pernitrates the firewall at the drivers side below the I/P connector X204 Headlight harness to infotainment harness
then to X205 Instrument panel harness to infotainment harness below left side of dash near steering column

from there it should travel up the A-pillar to the mirror under head liner but have not validated this

Old 12-04-2022, 01:49 PM

Of course... driver side! Ok, let me take a look!

Old 11-07-2023, 12:40 AM

Hate to dig up an old thread but what was the outcome here? I’m trying to do the same thing and trying to find those same 2 wires under the driver side dash.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:20 AM

@HellHoof ! OK, giving me some incentive to continue this as I paused on this to get a couple other projects done. I think I have located the wires on the driver side and can follow them up to the rear view mirror. Let me re-start this little project this weekend and trace those wires and get some pictures posted. I do believe that a UVA to UVB conversion is possible with the OEM wiring with two options ...

a. Connect to the video wires at the rear view mirror and pull coax down to the navigation unit... allowing both to show video. Need to confirm the signal strength is strong enough to be split up there as this would require an additional run of about 10ft of coax down to the navigation unit.
b. Tap into the video wires as they come into the firewall, and run about 5ft of coax to the navigation unit... I hate tapping wires as it just is not a long term solution in a high vibration environment... so need to explore options

More to come!

Old 11-07-2023, 09:24 AM

I can confirm that the wiring harness to the audio system is different for UVA and UVB options for the 08/09 H2s. UVA is missing the video wiring to the radio.

Old 11-07-2023, 02:20 PM

I concur. My UVA doesn't have the camera feed wires present in the harness behind the radio.

Worst case scenario, I'll tap into the wires inside the A-pillar, but I'd prefer to make contact under the driver footwell. I have a hunch that connector X204 and X205 are down there, somewhere, and where we could make our adjustments. Does anyone know how to find out more details on those connectors, as to what they look like, how to find them, etc?

X204 - Headliner Harness to Infotainment Harness

X205 - Instrument Panel Harness to Infotainment Harness

Old 11-11-2023, 04:47 PM

Well all, wonder no more! I have found this mysterious harness. The connectors are mounted to the firewall, on the far left side of the driver side footwell. It's a blue harness with a black connector, and a gray bracket clip thing holding it in. The row of wires facing us is A, and the #1 wires are at the bottom. Since we're needing B2 and B3 for the White/Lt. Blue video signals, they're on the second row, #2 and 3 from the bottom. Be careful, as there are multiple light blue, and multiple white wires in there.

I unlatched the MBEC junction block that sits kind of in front of the harness, but you could do the job without removing this. All you have to do is squeeze the two tabs at the top and it will tilt forward, then lift it out of the holder. There's about 8 million wires in this thing, so it's quite stiff to move.

I grabbed an old RCA cable and stripped it down. The yellow wire (center pin) of the cable went to the white wire, and the bare wire (edge of connector) went to the light blue wire.

You can get a picture on both the mirror and radio, however the signal is weak and the image is shaky. Turning off the rear view mirror display will clear up the radio display, however it is a camera from 2008 so the quality leaves some to be desired when blown up this large.