PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HI-Transmission Temps while towing

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Default HI-Transmission Temps while towing

Hi all,

So the saga with heat problems continues. I recently upgraded to a heavier travel trailer and had a few heat issues while towing it. I upgraded My radiator/trans/oil cooler and installed Ceramic Headers. It solved the problem with engine temps. It wont go above 203 degrees no matter what I do to it.

The Trans temps on the other hand are out of control still when going uphill. I had to pull over twice going to Death Valley this weekend. 18 miles of 5-8 percent grade. Pretty Brutal tow.

1. is there a way to add a secondary trans cooler?

2. also is there a t-case cooler or cover that will make temps lower?

3. has anyone had any first hand experience with towing in the mountains with an h2?

4. Do those aluminum diff covers help?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 PM

What are the dimensions on the trans cooler you put on?

Are you still running the trans lines through the radiator?

Sounds like you just need a bigger cooler...there are some monster sized coolers out there.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 PM

Yes, the trans lines still go through the direct fit radiator I just installed. I dont know the dimensions but Ill check it out.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 PM

There are a ton of coolers off Summit. If your not in snow/very cold climate you shouldn't need a unit w/ a bypass on it.

Fluid Coolers - SummitRacing.com

While your doing that...look at the size of your powersteering cooler. You want atleast double the size. Your powersteering pump will thank you.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by H2CANEPADESIGN
Hi all,

So the saga with heat problems continues. I recently upgraded to a heavier travel trailer and had a few heat issues while towing it. I upgraded My radiator/trans/oil cooler and installed Ceramic Headers. It solved the problem with engine temps. It wont go above 203 degrees no matter what I do to it.

The Trans temps on the other hand are out of control still when going uphill. I had to pull over twice going to Death Valley this weekend. 18 miles of 5-8 percent grade. Pretty Brutal tow.

1. is there a way to add a secondary trans cooler?

2. also is there a t-case cooler or cover that will make temps lower?

3. has anyone had any first hand experience with towing in the mountains with an h2?

4. Do those aluminum diff covers help?

What is the weight and size of trailer you're towing. I have towed a Featherlite 28' all aluminum trailer with my 2005 H2 with no issues. I know have a 2008 which I'll be using to tow the same trailer and curious if the bigger motor on the 2008 will make a differnce. I think my trailer weighs 5300 lbs empty.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 PM

add an electric 12 volt fan to the cooler,it will drop the fluid down quite a bit, i use the cooler for my off-road outings in south florida, it does wonders when hauling our 32 foot boat to the Keys, i wired it to the Trailer slector with a Bocsh relay, so it comes on when ever i hit the button,weither im hauling the boat or running in the mud....

I also have a one on the a/c condenser, for our 2-3 hour traffic jams here in Fort Laurdale, on I-95 w/130-150degs road heat during June,july and August, a/c ice cold....lol

Have a great day...Rck H2/H3

Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 AM

I went that route first with the electric fans, my engine temps were higher towing than with the mechanical fan. I spoke with a few different radiator guys (ron davis, griffin, becool) and they all agreed that the mech fans are better for towing than electric. I returned my electric fan setup and engine temps lowered. I do miss the cold a/c but I can live without it if I keep my motor in good shape.

My trailer weighs 4800 lbs. bone empty. at just 6750 lbs. loaded.

I don't have any issues on flat land.

Its not horsepower, I have well over 500 as of right now.

I think I'm gonna try getting a monstrous trans cooler Bflorin. I'll let you know when I drum up some more ducats and get it installed.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Hi, on the condencer for the a/c i have a slim 16 inch pusher fan, and my stock rad fan for the normal stuff.....

my trans/cooler has its own seprate fan its 12 inch pusher, so its stays cooler,its not hooked up to the radator,its all by its self on th front buy the a/c condencer....

if yours is hooked up to the radator and the cooler, the enging heat will take the trans to 190 degs, with out any addl. moving of the truck, then add towing and dont know how high it will go.....

AAmco advised me to remove it from the radator cooler and just run its own cooler by the a/c cond. and power it w/fan when off-road/hauling, or boat is 4,200 lbs towed w/fuel.....

I dont have any hills around here to climb, mabye a ramp to I-95 but thats it.....

Rick H2/H3

Old 12-17-2012, 12:22 AM

Mine got hot twice in the last two weeks pulling a 16' enclosed trailer up a 6% grade. Made me decide to beef up my trans cooler. The fan's a good idea. I wonder how much trouble it would be to make the hood vent functional and mount a cooler there. Might be tight on clearence...nice thought though.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:48 AM

I saw a few hood scoops online, most looked pretty generic but a couple were nice. that said the nice ones were pricey$$

next step for me is to add an additional trans cooler. maybe link a second one with the stock and add a small fan to the stock one. There may be an aluminum trans pan with fins that might help as well. I'll keep u updated .

Quick Reply: HI-Transmission Temps while towing