Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

H2 Rust? First time buyer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 06:04 PM
Default H2 Rust? First time buyer.

I’m strongly considering this h2, and wanted some opinions about whether this amount of rust is a concern. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2021, 06:17 PM
Old 07-17-2021, 07:14 PM

Looks like surface rust and not unusual in H2's. From the pics I wouldn't be too concerned especially if you are planning to do some remediation to it after buying.
Rust is definitely something to be concerned about on H2s though so you may want to look and dig a bit deeper on this. Check the brakes lines and the rust levels on those. If its heavy you may want to reconsider since that would require replacement. Also you dont mention model year or if its got the air suspension that still functions. If so again check the rust levels on/around the height sensors and the compressor itself. Compressors are prone to serious rust out. Check for any rust intrusion in the rear hatch area, under the rug or the plastic guard at the rear.
Last thing is check the exhaust manifolds, especially the rear bolts for rust issues or being gone. When rust is present exhaust manifolds are high risk typically, especially if its an 03-04.

Oh also make sure it doesnt have any undercoating on it trying to hide a deeper rust issue.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:24 PM
Default Could use some more photos

Judging from the few photos you attached, the rust doesn’t appear to be too severe. But you really don’t have enough photos of the frame for anyone here to make a sound decision as whether rust has compromised frame integrity. Take some close-ups if you can to determine if there is any deep pitting or scaling. I’m a firm believer in FLUID FILM. My 99 Blazer, driven up here in the Northeast, sold with 165,000 miles and no rust. I’ve also purchased vehicles with rusty frames that I have cleaned up and treated with FLUID FILM. If you see heavy scaling that breaks away, I would avoid purchasing the vehicle. If it appears as though you can clean the frame up by wire wheeling or wire brushing, you should be OK. While FLUID FILM is non-toxic, I would still wear a respirator when spraying or applying. Mask off areas you do not want to get FLUID FILM on. I typically cut out cardboard to prevent it from landing on brake rotors and exhaust piping. You also don’t want to spray leaf springs as there is an inherent amount of friction between the leaves that should never be compromised. The vehicles that I have treated with FLUID FILM yearly have survived aggressive winters and emerged in no worse condition than after treatment prior to winter. I’m sure I’m missing something and others will chime in. Hope this helps.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:15 AM
Default Thanks everyone for the great tips!

Really appreciate all of the advise shared here!

Old 07-18-2021, 11:44 AM

Standard for H2s that I have come up across. Especially for the snowy/salt areas. Could be a nice project to clean all that surface rust off, paint and even replace some bushings if they look cracked or worn out. Good luck

Old 07-19-2021, 11:01 AM

NHOU or Krown if it's in your area, I've had my winter vehicles applied with it. Very highly recommend. Also check out Undercoatinginacan. They make a black wax or clear wax that is extremely hard to remove. It doesn't harden like zeibart garbage. Yours doesn't look that bad at all. I don't think the hummer frames had much coating on them. Mine is from california and I have some surface rust. What state are you in?

Old 07-20-2021, 08:48 PM

If your frame has no salt damage this is what it will look like once the wax has been removed and it is refinished.
I spent a great deal of time searching for the 08 H2 SUT I just purchased. (I have had both an 05 and 06 and wanted an 08) I found tons of them in the snow belt (most of the worse then the one you are showing). As many have mentioned you have not included enough pictures for us to provide much of an opinion. Do a carfax and carefully expect where the vehicle has spent most of its life that is probably your best tool.

One thing I can tell you is the black wax used on your is nearly non-existant, you need to look further. I just got done doing a restoration on my 08 which lived totally out of the snow belt. It took a great deal of time to remove the black wax and it was only deteriorated in a few spots. The hammer test is always a great tool, rapping the frame with a hammer should result in a sharp
metallic sound an not a dull thud. Also, check all the control arms for bushing cracks and frame mounts for deterioration plus the front boots for cracks. It took 6 months to find a really good 08 that I thought was a good value and worth any restoration work I would be willing to do.

Don't write off a GM dealer inspection, it will cost your approx $150.00 but they will check the computer and associated systems as well as check for frame issues and rear main seal leaks which can be a costly repair.

Seems like a large laundry list but if you do it all and the vehicle comes out good you will be a very happy camper as you will have a great vehicle that will give you tens of thousand of miles of great service.

Last edited by H2-SUT; 07-20-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hummerh22
I’m strongly considering this h2, and wanted some opinions about whether this amount of rust is a concern. Thanks!

looks actually pretty good. All just a little bit of surface rust. What year is it?