Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

H2 Rolled Forward in Park, now stuck, won't turn over...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 07:05 AM
Default H2 Rolled Forward in Park, now stuck, won't turn over...

Hi guys, so I wanted a hummer for the last 18 years...worked hard and got a nice 2005 H2... had to replace alternator two weeks ago but that's all that's been done currently.

Yesterday I pulled in the driveway (thank God) and put it in park, turned it off, and it started rolling forward around 5 feet or so in park!? Now it's stuck in park and there is NO power to turn on. Battery is fine, voltage is normal, but it's like there's zero power to actually turn it over..

I manually shifted into neutral (learned from this site, so thank you!) And attempted to start it and it still wouldn't.

Please if anyone has any insight on this id really appreciate any help of where to look! The hummer also came with an aftermarket remote start which I also thought could be the culprit, so I started unhooking fuses left and right that had stuff coming out of it that looked aftermarket but the car still would not turn over.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:40 AM

I bet your shift cable broke, set the emergency brake, crawl underneath and shift the trans into park, then make sure the interior shift handle is in park, then it should start.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:54 AM

Ok I'll definitely be checking that! Thanks for the tip. I keep thinking it's something to do with the remote start/alarm overriding the system bc everything works as it should, it just won't crank at all, and when I try to remote start it, it goes through the process but then clicks and flashes interior/exterior lights about 5-6x, as if notifying there is something wrong or overridden like a setting. I've had this POS for almost three weeks and it's been nothing but issues (story of my life). Extremely clean 2005 with only 133k miles.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Like a setting caused by your Trans not being in park..... broken shift cable sounds good to me. You can add in your review the Trans Neutral switch as well.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Like a setting caused by your Trans not being in park..... broken shift cable sounds good to me. You can add in your review the Trans Neutral switch as well.
I hate to be "that guy", but could someone tell me where to look underneath for the location of shifter cable? I googled but couldn't find anything. Also, the trans neutral switch...is that the button on the gear shift under the compartment? That button does work and allows for shifting, but even in neutral the truck won't crank.
thanks again everyone.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:42 PM

does your cluster show the same gear that your shifter position is in? if not then go under the truck on the drivers side and look at a lever that will be on the side of the transmission. there should be a cable attached to it. if it is dangling then you found your problem

Old 05-25-2021, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Arupton
I hate to be "that guy", but could someone tell me where to look underneath for the location of shifter cable? I googled but couldn't find anything. Also, the trans neutral switch...is that the button on the gear shift under the compartment? That button does work and allows for shifting, but even in neutral the truck won't crank.
thanks again everyone.

Last edited by hummerz; 05-25-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Neutral safety switch.... look very similar in a wide range of GM light truck Transmissions.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 05-25-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:33 AM

THANK YOU to all who helped! You guys were 100% right on the money...as soon as I finally located the shift cable I saw it and BAM! broken off just like you guys said it would be! Lol
Off to buy a bushing kit now. Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-26-2021, 11:46 AM

Quick Reply: H2 Rolled Forward in Park, now stuck, won't turn over...