Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

H2 rear jounce cups

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Default H2 rear jounce cups

hi I have been looking for a solution to a dilemma I am experiencing. maybe some one has come across a solution. My 03 rear jounce "bump stops" cups have rotted right off the frame.
they fell off when I went to install the new OEM set of rubbers I ordered. I did not expect the cups to come off with the old rubbers.
I have not found a solution on getting replacement ones other than GM parts department telling me I need a new chassis with is no longer in stock.
has any one had any luck finding or fitting something to replace them? maybe something from like a 1500/2500 leaf spring bolt on type or maybe from another truck manufacturer like ram jeep or ford?

I tried mocking something up using cast iron pipe and a huge washer but the inner diameter or the pipe is too small. I also though maybe a turbo V clamp and a flange then welding one flange to the chassis then clamping the new jounce within the clamp and flange but I have not found a source local that has them on hand to try a dry fit as they are not cheap.
I also sandblasted the old cups to clean off the rust scale to try weld them back but not much usable metal was left after the process unfortunately.

sorry about the Hughe pictures I thought they would scale down when uploaded.

Last edited by bronxteck; 04-19-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 04-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Maybe you might find some off a suburban from a junkyard.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:11 PM

good idea but they will probably look the same by now too lol

Old 04-21-2019, 10:35 AM

I did a quick search and found these on Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

EBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-OEM-C...-/283172911718

Tim

Old 04-21-2019, 10:38 PM

Are these jounce cups bolted on the frame, or welded?

Old 04-22-2019, 12:47 PM

according to the GM parts department they are part of the frame so most likely welded on. but there might be enough room on the chassis to bolt one on. the "cups" are welded onto a U channel that is then welded onto the main chassis. eyeballing it there must be a gap of about 3/4" between the U channel and frame that is open and accessible. so that might fit a nut to work a bolt.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:09 PM

electrical box parts

cutting away some of the lip

sniping the rim off

top part ready for de burring

smoothing out the cut area

fitting on the jounce stop

prying the jounce into position

top ring in position and snug

fitting the top cap to the bottom cap

the bottom cap is 1/2" tall

finished project

rotted out original cup that fell off the H2 chassis
ok so finally got around to trying to figure out how to fix my issue and decided to try make something that was simple to work with. so went to the hardware store and came across some electrical supplies. with a little trimming I think they might work out. now I just have to figure out if I will weld them on or try bolt them to the chassis.

Last edited by bronxteck; 07-17-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:22 PM

drilled the hole in center of where the old cup resided and put a 9/16 bolt through

threaded the nylock nut onto the base and large washer

fitted the bump stop and ring to the base

ok I decided to bolt them on so drilled a hole in the frame where the old cups rotted off. I used 9/16 bolt with ny-lock nuts. a 9/16 socket and extension does fit down the center of the bump stop just make sure to lube it or the socket might bind when removing it. to make it stronger then the 2 Philip screws there is enough lip around the 2 half's of the electrical boxes to weld it or braze with a propane torch and solder with a little black paint no one will be any wiser. hope it helps some one else out there.

Last edited by bronxteck; 07-23-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 AM

That is a great solution. You did a nice job!

Old 07-25-2019, 10:21 AM

thank you. much appreciated Phil

a better solution would be to find a compatible bolt on bump stop. so a one stop shop, all in one unit.
since now we know we can drill and have room for a nut on that part of the chassis.
unfortunately i had already bought; and was trying to install the OEM replacement ones for the H2 when i found out the cups where being held on with fairy dust and hopes.

i think the hardest thing to find in my method is the really large backing plate washer that fit the 9/16 bolt. i have no clue where those originated from as they just happened to be floating around my shed. but all it really is a plate of metal with a hole that fit inside.

Quick Reply: H2 rear jounce cups