Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Front Differential Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 07:06 PM
Default Good news Bad news

Originally Posted by Chrmer3
If it’s the oil pressure sensor you can check to see if it’s loose (however it could still be a bad seal even if tight) the intake does NOT have to come off to check if loose or even to replace. At the back of the engine take your phone and see if you can get a pic. Check the picture and see where the release is for the connector. Reach behind lift on the release to snap it off. This is from a Chevy site but it’s basically the same tips to R&R that sensor. Last time I did mine a few years back it took literally 15 minutes.
https://www.silveradosierra.com/thre...change.171018/
So i checked underneath this morning and still didnt see any new leaks from static sitting in the garage. Popped the Diff fluid add plug and tried to squeeze some fluid in. Only got about 2 oz in and it was cmming back out. Put a bucket under and waited for it to stop dripping and got about 1 oz back out. So doubt it has been the seal leaking. Also looked thru the paperwork and realized that seal was just replaced a year ago. So suspect it had to be oil from somewhere above, but couldn’t get my camera to get a Pic of the OS unit area. It's due for an oil change so have added my mechanic to do a good cleanup of the area and see if he can see where the leak(s) may be.

Old 01-27-2024, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by PGI Conch
So i checked underneath this morning and still didnt see any new leaks from static sitting in the garage. Popped the Diff fluid add plug and tried to squeeze some fluid in. Only got about 2 oz in and it was cmming back out. Put a bucket under and waited for it to stop dripping and got about 1 oz back out. So doubt it has been the seal leaking. Also looked thru the paperwork and realized that seal was just replaced a year ago. So suspect it had to be oil from somewhere above, but couldn’t get my camera to get a Pic of the OS unit area. It's due for an oil change so have added my mechanic to do a good cleanup of the area and see if he can see where the leak(s) may be.
Dealer misdiagnosed my oil leak for being the pressure sensor but it was actually the valley cover leaking in the back. Apparently it’s pretty common too. Many have found their valley cover bolts are only finger tight upon inspection. With the aluminum blocks there is also a porosity issue with the castings that can cause it. That’s Also why the oil pans like to leak on those. With the supercharger on now I won’t be changing that gasket anytime soon.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
Dealer misdiagnosed my oil leak for being the pressure sensor but it was actually the valley cover leaking in the back. Apparently it’s pretty common too. Many have found their valley cover bolts are only finger tight upon inspection. With the aluminum blocks there is also a porosity issue with the castings that can cause it. That’s Also why the oil pans like to leak on those. With the supercharger on now I won’t be changing that gasket anytime soon.
Thats some good info. I know the shop is good and will be able to get it figured out. Just hoping it's a simple issue. I've not had to be adding oil any more than one would expect at 115K miles. But we all know how that story ends often enough. $30.00 part but $3000.00 labor cost! 😫

Old 02-02-2024, 06:56 AM
Default Update

Mech cleaned up area above oil filter (pictured above) & found that the oil cooler junction block gasket (just above oil filter) was leaking. Replaced gasket. Said the area closer up by head/valve cover/etc was all dry. Said to drive it & watch for a while before replacing the skid plate. Hopefully that resolved my issue. Just wanted to update issue.

Old 02-02-2024, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by PGI Conch
Mech cleaned up area above oil filter (pictured above) & found that the oil cooler junction block gasket (just above oil filter) was leaking. Replaced gasket. Said the area closer up by head/valve cover/etc was all dry. Said to drive it & watch for a while before replacing the skid plate. Hopefully that resolved my issue. Just wanted to update issue.
That's awesome. I hope that was the fix and you don't have a lifetime leaker like I do lol.