Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Front Bumper options

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Default Front Bumper options

In the past 2 months we've had 2 near major collisions on the freeway while towing. The 1st was a huge plastic cube in a metal frame, I think is used for bringing water to livestock. The thing must have been empty b/c it bounced out of the back of the pickup truck in front of us and we missed it by inches. Then just yesterday morning, 2 deer were standing in our lane. I could only move over a couple inches and luckily the deer did not move and we missed it by inches, I actually thought I was going to hit it w/ the mirror.

When you're towing you can't do much to avoid things so I was thinking of getting an offroad bumper to at least give us chance. I've always built my own (have a couple welders and plasma cutter) but I'm limited on time these days. Also it's the wife's daily driver so it can't look like a garage project.

I like the idea of aluminum b/c these things can get heavy. Also it doesn't have to have a which mount but a receiver hitch is required.

Let me know what you guys have experience with or heard good things about. And if anyone is still building bumpers for these things.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:48 AM

This is something else on my list.
I looked into it a bit & we're more limited than the H3. If MOVE would make one, I'd go in that direction since they can ship you the parts & you weld them. They've only made H3 kits though.

There's a thread about this on H4O that's older (2012):
Aftermarket Bumper Options

Keeping the discussion here the options are as follows:
1. Road Armor
2. Road Rhino
3. Iron Bull

A lot of the other options mentioned don't exist anymore.

I prefer the road armor with either the grill guard or Atlas II guard (covers the hood!). I also prefer the road armor rear bumper that has the corner guards. No one seems to offer bumpers with that much protection, at least non-custom.

I have a few issues with the design, mainly the rear: No spot on the corners for the 2nd set of signal / break lights (safety issue as I prefer people to see me) & I'm not sure about the rear camera & illumination for the licence plate. The standard front (without any guards) weighs in at 145 lb! I have heard the paint job sucks & wears quickly. This was years ago. I don't know if their methods have changed in that time. I'd have to hunt down road armor bumper reviews from 2015 to see. Also, the price. They just want a ridiculous amount of money. If you haven't looked into them, prepare for sticker shock.

I am not a fan of the added weight for everyday driving, like you. But, I'd rather have the weight & a stronger bumper than to save weight & have a less safe, lighter bumper. I've been in a few wrecks (always been hit, never hit anyone), but luckily, never while in a Hummer. People become complete idiots while driving & I'd rather put as much metal & weight between them & me as possible. I'd drive an H1 if it was possible, lol.

If you can fabricate an aluminum one with more structural supports, then yeah, that's the way to go. If it's a carbon copy, I'd be curious how it would stand up to a worst case scenario vs steel. I realize you're not in for a project, but I'm just pointing that out.

I don't know too much about the other brands, frankly. If I come across anything I read, I'll link it & post it.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:01 AM

Looks like there was a lot of drama between RR and RA.

Road Armor has a weld it yourself kit which is under $1000 that people rave about. I've been considering one myself.

Tim

Old 10-20-2015, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by tharber
Looks like there was a lot of drama between RR and RA.

Road Armor has a weld it yourself kit which is under $1000 that people rave about. I've been considering one myself.

Tim
Looks like it's Road Rhino that uses the same (or very similar) design as Road Armor. Road Rhino is on ebay and sells the WIY or assembled but unfinished.

Thanks for the info, I'm seriously considering this. Just need to figure out the commercial shipping restriction Road Rhino has.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:57 AM

Yes Road Rhino looks similar to Road Armor, but rhino is less expensive. If I'm not mistaken, they use to build bumpers for Road Armor before.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:31 AM

I talked to a guy at Road Rhino about the WIY kit. I think it's the route I will go if nothing else comes up. I like the idea I can then modify it. For example I still want a receiver hitch in the front I think I can add just below the winch.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:04 AM

Diy kit sounds best . Bumpers are so dam expensive . Plus if u customize it a bit to your likely it's 1 off and not like everyone elses. That's something I may just have to look into as well my neighbor welds. Hmmm

Old 10-21-2015, 11:05 AM

I just got a look at the road rhino bumpers.
I'm impressed you can get the front & rears for $1800 + shipping (from an older ebay listing, it looks like $295 for both). $2100 is not bad, all things considered!

All they need are heavy duty brush guards.

Here's the rear:

Old 11-04-2015, 05:52 AM

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this but I'd like to look at one more option. Is there anyone that sells a metal replacement for the plastic black front piece, the part circled in red:

Old 11-04-2015, 10:16 PM

I've never seen a direct metal replacement for the front mid bumper.

I have always loved the rear RA/RR bumpers but I hate that I would lose my lower bumper lights. The front bumper I always go back and forth on the looks of that.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper options