Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

found a tracking device on my h2

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 11:01 PM
Default found a tracking device on my h2

wanted to share this tracker i found on my h2 and also wondered how many of us been driving around with old non operational tracking devices left by the old dealers in our trucks .

​​​​​​

Old 01-12-2022, 08:09 AM

Mine is probably being tracked by the Feds, since I say Let's Go Brandon too often.

Last edited by calif phil; 01-15-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:58 AM

I knew the dealer had installed one (bought outright but it came from a shady buy-here-pay-here lot) so I removed it the first week and returned it to them when I had to pick up the paperwork.

In my case it was easy to find. They did a good job hiding it, but if you were looking for it, easily spotted in under a minute.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:54 AM

My battery use to die all the time if I didn’t drive the truck for a couple weeks. I had the tracking device removed about a year ago and haven’t had a problem since

Old 01-19-2022, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by HellHoof
I knew the dealer had installed one (bought outright but it came from a shady buy-here-pay-here lot) so I removed it the first week and returned it to them when I had to pick up the paperwork.

In my case it was easy to find. They did a good job hiding it, but if you were looking for it, easily spotted in under a minute.
Where was it hidden in the truck?

Old 01-19-2022, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by finall
Where was it hidden in the truck?
Tucked in the driver’s footwell, zip tied to the top of the foot HVAC vent. They tapped into the OBD II port for 12v. That wiring is how I found it.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:34 PM

I paid cash in full for my HUMMER.

FYI:

Car Dealership GPS Tracker

One of the biggest concerns for car dealerships around the United States is being able to quickly locate a vehicle on the car lot and then at the same time being certain that vehicle is ready to be shown to customers. Naturally, any vehicle on a car lot is clean and mechanically sound, but with potential buyers taking vehicles for test drives and possibly leaving a light on inside the vehicle, there is a chance an automobile on a car lot could be short on gas or have a battery that is low. Nothing could be more embarrassing than putting a potential buyer into their dream vehicle than that same vehicle not starting because of a dead battery or because the car has an empty fuel tank. Well maybe one thing could be more embarrassing and that is not being able to find that vehicle on a car lot! Thankfully, one piece of technology is changing that thanks in large part to GPS vehicle tracking!

Used Car Dealer GPS Tracking Device

GPS Synchronize Location Technology

The used car dealer GPS tracking device that was engineered to solve many of the problems facing car dealerships is a tool known as the Connect GPS. What the real time GPS tracker does is pretty simple: it allows a car dealership to locate every one of their vehicles on a car lot, determine if vehicles are low on fuel, measure battery life, and provide detailed diagnostic information. The GPS vehicle trackers can even be programmed to send out an alert if an automobile on a car lot is moved off the lot, which is a fantastic tool for preventing car theft. Connect GPS works by a car dealership simply plugging the buy here pay here immobilizer into any vehicle on the lot via the On Board Diagnostic port (OBD2) of the car. The used car dealership GPS tracker system is then able to pull diagnostic data from the car as well as real-time locational information. All of the tracking and location data can then be viewed on a computer or mobile phone, making it easy for a car dealer to locate a vehicle on the lot and observe diagnostic information.

“What we have found is that not only is the technology helpful for internal management purposes, but the tracking solutions can also be a great aftermarket accessory for the buyer to purchase”, explained a car dealership in the Northern Illinois region. “We have found that many buyers love to utilize the live vehicle monitoring for theft-recovery, teenage driving safety or simply a form of roadside assistance.”

According to the manufacturer of the Connect vehicle tracker, more and more used car dealerships are investing in the device for internal vehicle management and as well as an accessory product to offer customers.

Do Car Dealerships Have Tracking Devices?

Have you ever had that strange sensation that somebody was watching you? Believe it or not, technology is watching all of us on a daily basis and there really is not much that can be done about it. The cellular phones and mobile communication devices we use to send texts messages and make phone calls are embedded with GPS tracking chips that outside parties use to gather location-based data on our favorite places to go, surveillance cameras watch us as we shop inside stores and push our shopping carts into the parking lot and real-time tracking units are often times transmitting all of our driving activity. Although all of this might have sounded more like science fiction only 10 years ago, it is now simply the way things are, as privacy has taken a backseat to technological innovation. Of course, we all love it when technology is helping us by providing turn-by-turn directions with GPS navigational devices, routing us in unfamiliar places with Google Maps apps for smartphones, and essentially helping us locate anything in seconds. Although there is an abundance of positive applications of GPS and other technological tools that use geo-locational data, what many people may not realize is that the cars they own could very well be under satellite tracking surveillance!

Tracking Devices For Cars Buy Here Pay Here

There are a number of personal reasons why somebody might place a GPS tracker on another person’s vehicle. However, there is a more covert form of tracking that is happening every day that many people are not aware of, and that is real-time GPS tracking of vehicles that are still technically owned by a car dealership or financing group. These car dealership GPS tracking devices are becoming popular on used car lots for the application buy here pay here immobilizer.

When a person walks onto a car dealership to purchase a new vehicle they get bombarded by anxious salespeople wanting to get that potential customer to sign on the dotted line. Although core durable goods numbers have been weak over the past few years due to the current stagnation with the global economy, car dealerships are still willing to make concessions in order to get a potential customer into a new vehicle. These concessions include things such as working with those with little or no down payment or with a poor credit score. The only problem is that the car dealerships who often provide their own vehicle financing are well aware of the risks associated with offering credit to those working on credit scores below 650. They are also well aware of the plague of his-risk loans, and how maintaining a job in order to pay the monthly car payments is no longer a guarantee. In an effort to increase sales by working with customers who do not have a large down payment or high credit score, car dealerships are instead turning to GPS vehicle trackers to protect financed vehicles.

Even though a customer may have signed their name on the paperwork and drove the vehicle off the lot, that does not mean they technically own the vehicle. The customer owns the vehicle once they pay off the remainder of the loan in full, thereby receiving the title. In fact, real time GPS trackers have become so ubiquitous that many used car dealerships are using tracking devices in case they need to repo a vehicle due to lack of payment.

Car Dealership Financing GPS Tracking

By installing a car tracking device onto the fleet of vehicles at the car dealership, salespeople and financiers are given the unique ability to instantly locate any vehicle on the lot within seconds. This not only provides a theft recovery solution for the standing inventory on the lot, but it also allows the financing company and car dealership to locate a vehicle that is sold if the purchaser fails or refuses to submit timely payments. Although any car dealership will state that they want to encourage the purchaser to fulfill their end of the purchasing obligation by making on-time payments, sometimes locating and recovering the vehicle is the only viable solution when payments are no longer being met. Having the option to recover a vehicle in real-time provides the car dealership a way to safeguard their assets, while also allowing them the flexibility to extend financing to those without perfect or established credit.

Many of the car dealership GPS tracking systems used for auto security and recovery applications, such as the Connect GPS, are great for used car dealers because the first year of service is included in the purchase of the product. This means the typical monthly service and activation obligation in order for a user to access vehicle driving data is not a cost factor car dealerships need to worry about!

Where Do Car Dealerships Put GPS Trackers

Used car dealers are using GPS vehicle tracking systems to recover automobiles of people who are behind on payments. With the rise in high-risk auto loans, used car dealers have had to take additional safety measures to protect the cars that people make payments upon, but the dealer still owns. It is very common for independent car dealers to also provide financing to their customers, therefore, all a customer needs to do to purchase a vehicle is walk into a dealership, find the car they like, then drive off with that vehicle, assuming they are not too high of credit risk. The used car dealership holds the vehicle title and the customer makes monthly payments upon the vehicle until the car is paid off in full, at which time the customer will receive the title and complete ownership of the vehicle. However, many times a customer will not make their payments and the used car dealership will be forced to regain possession of the vehicle, and it is because of these situations that many car dealers are now investing in real time vehicle tracking systems. But the real question for people investing in used cars is where do car dealerships put GPS trackers?

When an independent car dealer also provides financing to the car buyer they accept total risk and liability. Car dealers are now taking advantage of the reduced cost of most buy here pay here immobilizer systems, using the GPS tracking systems as a way to smoothly repo a vehicle that is in default. Used car dealership GPS trackers allow a car dealer to pull up the location of the automobile in real-time, making it easy for the dealer to take back possession of the vehicle. They can do this by equipping a used car dealership GPS tracker to the following locations:
  1. OBD2 Port (on board diagnostic port)
  2. Hard-wire connection to the 12-volt system behind the dashboard
  3. Hard-wire connection to the 12-volt system under the steering column
  4. Installed to the car battery under the hood of the vehicle
Car dealers need to take every precaution to reduce risk when giving loans to numerous individuals. Prior to the practice of using car dealership GPS tracking devices to recover a vehicle in default, it could take a car dealer days, weeks, or even months to accomplish the repossession of a vehicle. Now, with the help of GPS tracking systems, a used car dealer can access the location of the vehicle in default, and use the tracking system’s starter disable feature to make certain the vehicle stays in the same location. The repossession process has never been easier.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
I paid cash in full for my HUMMER.

FYI:
….
Congratulations. I would give you a pat on the back and an attaboy if we lived closer.

Instead of copy pasting a wall of text next time, maybe just provide the link so it doesn’t totally hijack the screen space of the thread.
https://gpstrackerreviews.net/gps-de...r-dealerships/

Old 01-25-2022, 10:19 PM

The tracking device installed from factory were called Boomerang. I think they changed names now. If you call then and give them your vin number they will tell you if your truck has a tracking device and where it is located

Old 01-25-2022, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stevegt17
The tracking device installed from factory were called Boomerang. I think they changed names now. If you call then and give them your vin number they will tell you if your truck has a tracking device and where it is located
As far as I know, the factory never installed tracking devices. I think you are wrong on that.
These may have been done at the dealer level at some dealerships. Maybe you meant "at the dealer level"?

Quick Reply: found a tracking device on my h2