Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Folding second row seat problem 2004 Hummer H2

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Default Folding second row seat problem 2004 Hummer H2

I am unable to fold the 60/40 split folding seats. The smaller side will only fold when i pull on the cable directly below the bottom seat cushion the the 40 side will not fold at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:18 AM

I'm having the same problem with my seat but the smaller rear passenger side. I have a 2005 H2 with just one cable to unlatch the seat back. And even if I pull on the cable the back doesn't fold. Someone is selling the drivers side rear hinge but asking $90 for it. There should be a way to overide the cable and manually unlatch it.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Default Regarding the 60/40 spli bench seat issue.

I spent about 5 hours Saturday looking at the second row seats and fond that the cables for the seat backs have worn. Some of them are streatched out and are unable to pull the latches. If you look directly under the seat cushions on bothe sides the there is a cable one for the smaller passenger side and two for the driver side. they attach to the bottom cushion by some pins so that when the cushions are lifted up, they pull on the latch's. Both of the cables on the drivers side have broken at that pin and the passenger side just needs to be tightened. I am looking for cable ends at the Hardware store that might work and be better then what was OEM. In any case this is why the seats won't fold. I just grab the cable visible on the passenger side and pull up and found that this will unlock the seat back. You will need to do some looking but you will see the latches on both sides of the drivers side and you can use a long flat head screw driver to push the latches with. You will need to have someone help push one latch down while you push on the other. Anyway I hope this long winded message helps. Let me know if this works for you I am still trying to figure how to make the repair. You might also want to shoot each latch with a shot of WD40 to lossen them up.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 AM

The cable for my passenger side is still attached. But it's not moving the circular spring loaded lever. I detached the cable and tried to pull it with a pair of pliers and it wouldn't bulge. I'm wondering if it might be jammed? I didn't see a lever to use a flat head on. Do you have a photo?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:04 AM

What year is your Hummer? You said circular lever but mine has a lever like attachment that the cable attaches to at the top. I can fit a Larg screw driver behind it. You might need to shoot it again with WD40 if you have not done so already. I suggest pulling the seat back forward and backward to try and loosen it up. I herd a loud noise when it broke free for me indicating it coiuld have been jammed. I don't have pictures yet but will post it when I get back to working on it. Do you have any suggestions for replacing the third row jump seat with a bench seat? I only have found one aftermarket company and would like to install a similar seat to what the newer Hummer H2's have. Have you seen any after market seats that I may have not seen?

Old 05-12-2011, 05:22 PM

I have attached pictures of the cable assembly under my seat. The upper cable goes under the back of the upright portion of the seat. I'm not sure of it's purpose.The lower cable is what is stuck.

I ordered my seats from this outfit on Ebay.
HUMMER H2 THIRD ROW SEAT | eBay

They are not leather but the quality is very good and they match my black leather seats with no problem.

Attached Thumbnails Folding second row seat problem 2004 Hummer H2-seat-lever.jpg   Folding second row seat problem 2004 Hummer H2-seat-lever-2.jpg  
Old 05-12-2011, 05:27 PM

My Hummer is a 2005. And I tried the WD40 and a large screw driver but that lever won't buldge.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 AM

Any more information on this? I have an 03. When you pull forward the passenger side lower seat portion, two cables are pulled forward. These cables pull two releases under the seat back, which release the seat back, thus allowing it to be folded forward, making it flat. The two cables are twisted steel wire (or something close) with "nipples" on each end. These nipples hold the cables where they need to be to work. These nipples have broken off both my cables, thus moving the seat bottom forward does not release the seat back. Does anyone know where these cables may be obtained? I have not found them at gmpartsdirect.

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM

For whatever reason my seat started working again but then the other side stopped working. But it started folding again after about 3 weeks. So it's still a mystery as to why. Maybe you can take a sample of the cable to a hardware store and they an suggest something.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 PM

Yea, I can guarantee mine isn't going to start working again :-). I'm going to try a GM dealer and see if they can order the cables, otherwise, I'm going to get some fine twisted steel cable, run it through the necessary holes and tie it off at each end. Don't know if I can pull it off or not (the path of these cables is fairly complex) - but it's all I've come up with to try. I presume this same seat mechanism can't be found in a Tahoe?

Most of the "stuff" in these trucks is solidly engineered - however, in this instance, this is crap. Unfortunate.

Quick Reply: Folding second row seat problem 2004 Hummer H2