PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ever AWD H2 Duramax/Allison conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Default First ever AWD H2 Duramax/Allison conversion

I am wrapping up on my 5th Duramax/Allison H2 conversion. Since build 1 i disliked giving up the AWD characteristics of the Hummer. Build 4 had a 2WD AWD 4Hi and 4Low but it was manual shift. Predator builds this for their H1 conversions. (Someone bought the conversion and wanted the 263xhd with electric shift. The 242 XHD is available for sale, its 29 spline and fits behind the Allison.)

That was then and this is now. I'm VERY HAPPY to pat myself on the back and brag a little. I am on final testing and a week away from rolling out the very first AWD H2 Duramax/Allison conversion retaining all the H2 shift controls which maintains the rear locking diff and of course AWD. I also re-geared to 273 which will drastically improve fuel economy. The absolute best i was able to record was flat highway and 17mpg. I'm hoping for 21 and no loss of power.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 AM

Sweet!! Thats sounds like the way to go. Obviously quite a lot of work and expense but sounds like it might be worth it if you have a H2 with a blown engine and want to go all in with plans on keeping it for another 10 years.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by bknapp
I am wrapping up on my 5th Duramax/Allison H2 conversion. Since build 1 i disliked giving up the AWD characteristics of the Hummer. Build 4 had a 2WD AWD 4Hi and 4Low but it was manual shift. Predator builds this for their H1 conversions. (Someone bought the conversion and wanted the 263xhd with electric shift. The 242 XHD is available for sale, its 29 spline and fits behind the Allison.)

That was then and this is now. I'm VERY HAPPY to pat myself on the back and brag a little. I am on final testing and a week away from rolling out the very first AWD H2 Duramax/Allison conversion retaining all the H2 shift controls which maintains the rear locking diff and of course AWD. I also re-geared to 273 which will drastically improve fuel economy. The absolute best i was able to record was flat highway and 17mpg. I'm hoping for 21 and no loss of power.
Did you swap the 29 spline 261 input shaft into the H2 Borg warner t-case? Thats what I was thinking of doing but haven't tried yet to check if the dimensions are the same and pitch of gears but it looks very close

Old 05-25-2018, 07:16 AM

Sounds like the perfect H2 I would luv to take a conversion for a test drive.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Bknapp. New to this Forum sound like I am ont he right Forum possibly wrong thread? You sound like you have done several conversions. I am very interested to know if there is a better thread here on this forum on accomplishing an 2006 K2500Hd to 2006 H2 lbz conversion using existing wiring?. I am in California and have started this build and am a Smog tech, according to Bureau of Automotive repair. Engine changes do require that all the modules have to communicate in order to be labeled for smog program.(Cannot use a standalone system?)
I have had very little success in getting wiring changes that would allow me to communicate with existing modules- connectors are the same and there are a couple of modifications that Johnny Goodwin from Hline conversions goes over in his step 5 of the h2 conversion on you tube however c2 connector seems to be the issue?
Any help on direction or consultation would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-04-2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by bknapp

its 2019 now. Any update on how this has held up? I’m looking to do a dmax/Allison awd set up in my chevelle

Old 11-04-2019, 02:12 PM

Like an actual classic Chevelle with an AWD Duramax diesel drivetrain???

Old 11-04-2019, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Like an actual classic Chevelle with an AWD Duramax diesel drivetrain???

Yep! 1970 Malibu I got from a pasture. Literally rebuilding it from the ground up.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:06 PM

Old 12-11-2019, 06:17 PM

Been following your builds. I couldn't get your website so I figured I'd ask here. I got an 08 h2 I'm looking to have a duramax swap. I'd like the new lp5 but I'd settle for a built lbz. Any advice. Can't wait to see the h3 too.

Quick Reply: First ever AWD H2 Duramax/Allison conversion