PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Dynatech Long Tube Headers and Borla Catback

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Talking Dynatech Long Tube Headers and Borla Catback

Ok so I finally got the whole thing installed. Headers look great, and weren't too difficult to install, the garage guy didn't mess about he immediately dropped the front drives shafts and the cross member, giving him loads of space to play with.

Name:  IMG_3001_zpsjsjo2brx.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  157.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2997_zps5roswm3o.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  224.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3009_zpsv4dg320y.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  314.1 KB

Here's a view of both systems next to each other :

Name:  IMG_2998_zpsnetj9ldr.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  238.7 KB

Here's a shot of them installed...

Here are the end pipes, i thought the Borla fit wasn't that great at the back, it took a fair bit of playing around to get them to line up, but the fitter did a good job.

Name:  IMG_3017_zpsvhyrwzj4.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  151.6 KB

I also had my oil feed pipes changed, and my sump gasket as there was a slight leak. We filled it back up with oil, and then turned her over. I can confirm that on my 09 i didn't need the O2 extender, and there was no CEL on the dash. I did buy some anti fouling spark plug spacers, but thus far it looks like they wont be needed. I've not got the wheels back on yet as there's some other stuff needed to be done, and so i will collect it tomorrow and give you more feedback about performance, noise etc. It sounded more purposeful. If I am honest, it didn't strike me as being that loud, and i would have liked a little more growl on idle, but i haven't driven it yet, and maybe that will change when i get on it... My friend's one here has a borla muffler, stock headers, but straight pipes, where as I went for the high flow cats, so they're probably robbing me of some decibels...

Here's his
Name:  IMG_3008_zpsrhshtwhf.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  226.0 KB

Here's a couple more shots for comparison:
Name:  IMG_2999_zpsbjs8wnj3.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  392.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3012_zps0mvsgpie.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  230.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3016_zpshubidrxw.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  207.0 KB

I am just waiting to get my fender flares installed and get it levelled, so i can start recording my maps for blackbearperformance. I took some base readings already so i have stock covered, i'll get some runs in this and then email them off. Looking forward to getting it all finished. I do think though i am going to be looking at wheels and tyres now.. those flares tend to make the arches beg to be filled

Last edited by Baldfox; 12-12-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:56 PM

Ok so I've driven around in it for an hour or so. The h2 has also been levelled. Couple of things for those wondering. I didn't notice any stiffness change in the steering at all. I was worried that the ride would be poor after but I didn't notice it. The car sitting much nicer cosmetically now. Now re the headers. I've fitted everything above I've not received any CEL's at all with these headers. The car is running great. Breathes easier and the speedo just seems to move smoother. I'm definitely pleased with it and it picks up better. Got no dyno numbers. Am hoping the black bear map will make even more use of the set up I have now. Was it expensive - yes, did I need it - no, am I pleased with the purchase - you bet! This was worth carrying back through JFK. The installation kit was just perfect. I'll report back once I've installed the black bear tune.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:00 PM

that is a pretty exhaust system

Old 12-14-2015, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by ryaleon
that is a pretty exhaust system
Thanks, it wasn't cheap that's for sure, but i'm pleased with it. Can't wait for the tune to go in. The dynatech kit was real quality they thought of everything.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:12 AM

awesome! i bet it sounds great! headers and new exhaust are on my long term list for the truck. cant wait for additional feedback from you on your performance and satisfaction!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:59 AM

Any chance this is going on a dyno?

Both H2s look great!

Old 12-14-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
Any chance this is going on a dyno?

Both H2s look great!
I'll look into that. I don't know of any dyno's here in Moscow, but they must have one. Let me look into it and see. I've been trying to answer questions i had myself when looking at the kit to help others. The flange on the dyno cats was different to stock, so if you go the route i did, you'll have to get an aftermarket cat back or else you're going to have to fudge it, to get the stock muffler to fit. I took a photo off the outlet next to the free borla hat above.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:50 AM

Make sure to keep your old cats. they are terribly expensive if you had to buy them. Nice write up. I have the same Borla cat back system and I love it.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:25 AM

Just installed the tune. Am pleased it definitely seems to pick up easier, and is shifting less. I didn't disconnect the battery so i've not seen any mileage improvements yet. Will report more on that as and when. I'm under a lot of snow here in moscow, so trying to find a decent road to open her up is tricky. I just went for a 15min drive round the block. Will get a chance to test it more over the weekend. It holds the gears stronger, and seems to be firmer. Am pleased with it, feels more nimble. I need to log some more miles in it and send the data back to Justin @blackbear for maybe a tweak here and there. Jarrad has also been helping me there with some queries i had. Top guys.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
Make sure to keep your old cats. they are terribly expensive if you had to buy them. Nice write up. I have the same Borla cat back system and I love it.
What do you love about the system?

I just put the Borla cat back system on my H2 and it is completely underwhelming. Call me crazy but I think it sounds quieter than stock at idle. I wish I had seen this thread before I went with Borla.

To be fair, I think it is hands down the best looking system for an H2. Those polished dual tips out back look so much better than the hidden stock tip. I just wished it sounded better. It reminds me of what Magnaflow sounds like (very mellow and quiet but "tuned"). I was hoping for more of a Gibson like sound (loud and aggressive).

Quick Reply: Dynatech Long Tube Headers and Borla Catback