PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

computer message center screwed up. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Default computer message center screwed up. Help!

I have a weird thing going on in my instrument cluster.
The little screen that posts your total miles and also shows all your settings for doorlocks mpg etc is screwed up.

It is stuck on language and rolls from french to english to spanish. I cannot get anything to work on it but that. I disconnected the battery and tried resetting but that did not help. Talked to a guy that fixes the steppermotor for the speedometer and he does not know.
Does any one have a clue?

Old 05-16-2013, 04:27 PM

Is it possible that the steering wheel switch is stuck on language?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 PM

Which switch would that be since there are four buttons and are they easy to get out?It is kinda annoying

Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 AM

This is a super-long shot but the lower right two buttons control the settings (upper selects mode and lower selections within the mode). Could one of these be malfunctioning i,e, something spilt on them? I don't know but it's a shot...

Old 01-03-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by nlhummer
I have a weird thing going on in my instrument cluster.
The little screen that posts your total miles and also shows all your settings for doorlocks mpg etc is screwed up.

It is stuck on language and rolls from french to english to spanish. I cannot get anything to work on it but that. I disconnected the battery and tried resetting but that did not help. Talked to a guy that fixes the steppermotor for the speedometer and he does not know.
Does any one have a clue?
Did you ever find a solution?? Ours is doing the EXACT same thing and we are trying to figure out what it is. We just bought the car and it's stuck on this language thing. Every time you turn it on, it says driver 1, then just scrolls thru the language options. We can't even get the odometer to pull up (not even by pressing the reset stem). The top steering wheel buttons work (radio volume, etc), but the bottom buttons don't work to access the IP (or at least when you press them, nothing happens). The coolant temp gauge also isn't working at all (but we hooked up a scan tool and it reads the temp for now). And also the light on the oil pressure gauge is out. Husband thought it might have been the clock spring, but he pulled that out yesterday and tried to manually jumo the select button. No dice. Please advise if you found a solution!! Thanks!!

Old 01-03-2017, 06:09 PM

2008/9? Try the odometer reset stem, if it sticks it could cause the language feature to keep scrolling. Manual says to push it for 3 seconds to get it into the language setting from odometer. Page 3-55 of the 2008 manual. Same page for earlier models but different procedure.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:02 PM

Easier solution. Take french and spanish lessons : )
Did you disconnected battery tontry to make a reset

Old 01-03-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by flyday58
2008/9? Try the odometer reset stem, if it sticks it could cause the language feature to keep scrolling. Manual says to push it for 3 seconds to get it into the language setting from odometer. Page 3-55 of the 2008 manual. Same page for earlier models but different procedure.
We tried that and the stem doesn't do anything. The good news is that my husband found a thread on a Silverado forum about it. He disconnected the cluster and the battery and reconnected both. Now we at least have mileage! Our clock spring got damaged when he was messing with it last night so we can't scroll thru any menus, but we have a new one of those on order. The roof lights leak so we're guessing moisture got to it. We are sending the cluster off for a rebuild. Hopefully with a new clock spring and and freshly rebuilt cluster (and some resealed roof lights), we will be good as new! Thanks!

Old 01-03-2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
Easier solution. Take french and spanish lessons : )
Did you disconnected battery tontry to make a reset
Disconnecting just the battery did nothing. But disconnecting the battery and IP finally did the trick! Thanks!

Old 01-04-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by SunsetHawkSelena
We tried that and the stem doesn't do anything. The good news is that my husband found a thread on a Silverado forum about it. He disconnected the cluster and the battery and reconnected both. Now we at least have mileage! Our clock spring got damaged when he was messing with it last night so we can't scroll thru any menus, but we have a new one of those on order. The roof lights leak so we're guessing moisture got to it. We are sending the cluster off for a rebuild. Hopefully with a new clock spring and and freshly rebuilt cluster (and some resealed roof lights), we will be good as new! Thanks!

Good luck with the roof light leak.

At least I have designed a permanent fix for the top corner markers.

Find a boat dealer. Go to parts dept. Buy these 4 black flag pole holders, you want the ones that have the fine threads. They will be almost the exact size of the huge hole in the roof for the corner marker.

Next buy some 3M4200 Sealant May have to order it if boat parts don't cary. Do yourself a huge favor and do not go for the 5200- Its like JB Weld and if you ever need to get it off0- forget it

Lower front of headliner

1- Push with a screwdriver upward into the slot by the hunge of the visor. When you push up on it you will hear a click. It will take some pressure. Once it clicks remove screwdriver.

As you turn out the sunvisor push up on it, it will spring inwards and then continue turning outward. Somewhere around 90 degrees the sunvisor should drop down.

2- Remove 2 Philips screws from overhead light console By rearview mirror. If you don't have that I don't have the work around.

Now remove the two pins that hold the front drivers o crap handle on. Its pretty self explanatory.

Now once you have that stuff you will have to enlarge the hole in the black flag pole holder. If you pm me I can take a pic of what I am talking about. Appearently there is no part number. Cost is about $1.25 each at my local boat dealer.

Make the hole large enough that the oem rubber bushing holding the marker in place will fit through. I took a knife and cut mine down a little.

Now take that silicone 3M 4200 and put some around the threads of the black fitting. Ensure to get some on the underside of the ring as well.

Place that piece in the hole and with a hammer tap it in. * note a socket that will fit over it will help you when you get to the bottom so you don't hit the roof rack.

Now pull the wire back through the hole and reconnect in the headliner.

Once you have the wire back in and the light is working

Fill that entire black piece that you hammered in - up with the silicone.

Ensure all around the wire is covered. And you go all the way to the top creating a very small dome.

Now reinstall the light into lens cover and let it cure over night.

This marker will never leak again. You created a dome and if done right water will never get in.

The center 3 lights I just put new gaskets with a thin layer of 3M 4200 on the top and bottom. Just like putting butter on bed. No more leaks.

Cost silicone $17 4 black fittings $5.00 + tax

Quick Reply: computer message center screwed up. Help!