PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change engine, change odometer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Default Change engine, change odometer?

Hi friends,

As I told in some posts before, I'm owner of an H2 Hummer. I live in Spain... so here is not same same USA, there are very few workshop prepared to work with American cars...

I have a 2003 H2 Hummer with 160.000km (about 99400 miles). I have to change engine for some problems, but engine is not new. It has 70.000km (about 43500 miles) but odometer is still saying 99400 miles...

Is there any way to update the odometer memory for the new mileage?

I've seen there are some odometer calibrating tools... but very expensive for only 1 use... any other idea??

Thanks a lot in advance...

Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 PM

The body of the car still has the 100k miles on it so it is likely illegal to change the odometer.
You just have a fresher engine in an old body

Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 AM

Hi nlhummer and thanks for your answer...

Here in Spain is not illegal, don't know if in America is. If I change engine, odometer has to say engine miles, car documents tell total miles before change engine, but odometer has to say actual engine miles... If I install a new engine, miles = 0, so odometer cannot say 100k miles.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 PM

The miles on the odometer reflect the miles on the whole truck not just the engine. It would be somewhat deceptive to change the odometer to reflect the miles on the "new" engine. It would be totally acceptable to just right down the miles on the odometer when the engine is replaced. That way total miles on the vehicle can still be kept track of. Your truck should also have an hour meter in the display section. I would NOT attempt to change either one. Which would be illegal in the US. But it's your truck and if you never plan on selling it and it stays in Spain do what you must...

Old 12-24-2012, 11:05 PM

you guys who are replying to this thread dont seem to understand that the laws over in Spain are different than in the US. our laws dont mean crap to them.

to the OP, best advice would be to check with a mechanic or a garage

Old 12-25-2012, 10:10 PM

The law is not like that in Spain, I know for sure.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 AM

Just because the law is different (or they havent realized it should be a law yet) doesnt make it right. Why not import a bunch of high mileage vehicles into Spain and just roll the miles back. You asked for opinions. You can't do it in the US. If it's ok in Spain why ask?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 AM

Hi,

I think except hellzarmy any of you don't understand the difference between USA-Spain... I'm not asking If I can do (I know I can do) I just ask if any of you know how to do.

To Edelbroke... I'm not importing a car and rolling the miles back to sell it, I have to change engine for my car so mileage is not the same as before, so odometer MUST say always engine miles, not car miles. We have papers for technical inspections every 3 years where says how much miles has got the car... so I am not deleting any document.

But don't worry I just have solve the problem.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM

There is no way...

Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 AM

there is a way, I ordered a new cluster for a customer a few years back and had them program the actual mileage into the odometer before the cluster was shipped to me.

Quick Reply: Change engine, change odometer?