Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

CAI vs aftermarket filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Default CAI vs aftermarket filter

So, after doing some research, I'm going to not do a CAI. The K&N system is crazy expensive but more importantly, I just don't see it being able to obtain cold air like it should because it relies on forming a seal with the hood.

I want to swap out the stock air filter for now with something else. What filters do you guys like? K&N doesn't even make a stand alone filter, I don't know which others out there are good.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:20 PM

I've never really seen a cold air kit that is better than the stock version. Just opening the top of the air box is not a cold air kit, it allows the heat from the engine bay into the return. I think they did pretty good job pulling air from the fender.

TH

Old 07-10-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by tharber
I've never really seen a cold air kit that is better than the stock version. Just opening the top of the air box is not a cold air kit, it allows the heat from the engine bay into the return. I think they did pretty good job pulling air from the fender.

TH
Yes, totally agree. What aftermarket filter would you recommend?

Old 07-10-2016, 06:49 PM

I use a power core which is basically stock I guess. I know air raide has an oil type filter and you can use generic K&N that will fit. I've never really cared too much for oil / reusable filters living in FL. Too much sand in the air here. Its safer for me to just replace mine as needed. As large as the filters are, it would hard to get anything to flow better I think. I have thought about changing out the god awful intake tube with something more streamline but don't know if they are worth the money or not.

Tim

Old 07-10-2016, 06:58 PM

Gotcha. Was really surprised that K&N doesn't make a factory filter to fit. I want a factory fit so I'll have to shop elsewhere. Think I'll opt for a dry filter, K&N's are a pain in the ***; been using them for years.

About that intake tube, was looking at it closely today. What the hell is is setup like that for? Two pieces on either side that curve down and are blocked off? Don't get it.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:25 PM

Replace that octopus tube with a Airdoc intake. System is still closed but air flow is improved.
Air Doc H2 Performance Intake System

Then use any quality dry type filter like AFE Pro Dry
Pro Dry S

Old 07-11-2016, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
Replace that octopus tube with a Airdoc intake. System is still closed but air flow is improved.
Air Doc H2 Performance Intake System

Then use any quality dry type filter like AFE Pro Dry
Pro Dry S
Will the Air Doc intake fit with the existing air box? I only want to replace the tube.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:02 PM

I did airdoc and aFe pro also. Airdoc will fit standard box. Well pleased with mine.