Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Brake Pedal Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Exclamation Brake Pedal Lock Issue

I am having some braking problems with my 2003 H2. When I step on the brake pedal at speed (like 50 or 60mph) it will only brake so much. Once it slows to about 30-40mph it feels as if whatever limiter at the high speed releases and then I can fully brake or mash the pedal to the floor. At the higher speeds you can slam on it but it still doesn’t brake fully until your at the lower threshold. the hydraboost system has been replaced and didn't make a difference.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:02 PM

Something with the ABS system or maybe not bled properly when the hydro was replaced?

Old 08-18-2017, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Something with the ABS system or maybe not bled properly when the hydro was replaced?
Thanks for the message. My mechanic has checked the abs system multiple times and bled it with each of the two hydros that were put on. The investigation continues...

Old 08-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Sounds like the hyrdo boost system to me. Make sure the belt is good and that you have enough fluid in the pump first. Then look at the pump.

Tim

Old 08-19-2017, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by tharber
Sounds like the hyrdo boost system to me. Make sure the belt is good and that you have enough fluid in the pump first. Then look at the pump.

Tim
Thanks for the message. We have replace the hydroboost system twice, replaced the belt, and confirmed enough fluid. I'll keep investigating.

Thanks again!

Old 08-20-2017, 09:40 AM

Higher speed failure is going to be from a bad pump or bad fluid. That's all there is to the system. It should self bleed and abs usually will not kick in at speeds above 20 mph.

Tim

Old 08-21-2017, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by tharber
Higher speed failure is going to be from a bad pump or bad fluid. That's all there is to the system. It should self bleed and abs usually will not kick in at speeds above 20 mph.

Tim
I'll give the fluid another check

Old 08-28-2017, 04:20 PM

First have the pressure at the pump checked. If it checks out then replace the Hydroboost assembly with a GM factory unit. It will be costly! The cheap rebuilt units from the local parts stores are no good.

BTW the TRW hydroboost units on the 2007 and up GM vehicles are WORLDS better than the older units. But I don't think they are backwards compatible.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Zombie01
First have the pressure at the pump checked. If it checks out then replace the Hydroboost assembly with a GM factory unit. It will be costly! The cheap rebuilt units from the local parts stores are no good.

BTW the TRW hydroboost units on the 2007 and up GM vehicles are WORLDS better than the older units. But I don't think they are backwards compatible.
Thanks for the info! I'll give that a try.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:28 AM

Humdinger2: Another idea is to replace the brake fluid and flush the entire system out to each caliper, if you haven't already. Brake fluid attracts moisture from the air (even in the reservoir) and becomes contaminated with water. That will also cause a "spongey" or "mushy" feel to the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal Lock Issue