PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bipolar tire disorder (tire advice)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:39 AM
Default bipolar tire disorder (tire advice)

I am thinking about demoting my stock tires to on-road only status, and taking my factory rims and putting either Toyo Open Country M/T 37x13.5 tires on them or PArnelli Jones Dirt Grip 37 x 12.5 tires.

And then swapping tires before i go offroading...

This will also give me the chance to change to actual street tires for maximum quietness and ride and mileage in normal day to day use. As of now i have no idea what tire that would be, but i can dig around to find some 35" tire thats optimized for soccer mom useage. I am willing to submit to extensive surgery, in fact, to actually become a soccer mom provided it can be reversed for hill climbing and swamp-bogging. NASA is working on this, which isn't promising considering that they usually work on space-ships and not medical procedure. I have no love for soccer, but i'll learn.

Anyway, my questions are these

1. is this probably foolish, as it would simply be too expensive and ridiculous to change tires constantly? To date about 33-40% of the miles that i've driven are either offroad or to offroad, and it will be far over half by the end of August (i'm taking most of the month off and driving around the country in an attempt to get really, really stuck and have to beg a guy in a jeep to pull me out. that's fair, i've called some shots on the jeep/hummer thing, i deserve to be humbled. j/k of course). But, alot of those miles are lazy highways miles to-and-from the scene of the mud.

2. will the Toyo's fit on the factory rims or on my American Racing Mojaves, and do i need more information about the rims for somebody to answer that? The parnelli's should fit on one or the other as they're the same width as factory wheels.

3. I know shortie has recommended the Toyos on the past, but does anybody have an off-roadin opinion on either of these buggers?

4. what is the quietest, smoothest ridin 35 for normal use? I have zilch for complaints with the stock tires, but improvement is good. Are there even highway-tires that big?

Old 07-17-2006, 04:40 AM
Default RE: bipolar tire disorder (tire advice)

also, staun beadlocks, anybody have 'em?

Old 07-19-2006, 02:38 AM

The Toyo's are the best all around tire. They perform really well off road as I know people with off road only rigs that run them.
As far as the street tire, you could get the Toyo A/T's in a 35x13.50 (i believe) and it has a very tame tread and is supposed to give you decent mileage. They should fit your factory wheels.
Hope this helps...

Old 07-20-2006, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: ASTAR

The Toyo's are the best all around tire. They perform really well off road as I know people with off road only rigs that run them.
As far as the street tire, you could get the Toyo A/T's in a 35x13.50 (i believe) and it has a very tame tread and is supposed to give you decent mileage. They should fit your factory wheels.
Hope this helps...
thanks ASTAR.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:32 PM

just go with the toyo mt, not sure if the 37 x 13.5 will fit the stock rims though. beadlocks are a waste unless you're rock crawling all the time. the toyos are quiet on the road, and at 40lbs i get the same mileage as stock. you'll need an aftermarket programmer to adjust for the bigger tires though.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

just go with the toyo mt, not sure if the 37 x 13.5 will fit the stock rims though. beadlocks are a waste unless you're rock crawling all the time. the toyos are quiet on the road, and at 40lbs i get the same mileage as stock. you'll need an aftermarket programmer to adjust for the bigger tires though.
aqre you back from the rubicon? how'd it go?

i'll need a programmer to get my speedo/odo back in line or to get the truck to move and behave normally?

Old 07-21-2006, 04:12 PM

didn't go to the rubicon, went back to PA, and won't be going on the rubi run. but, you'll need a programmer to get your speedo and mileage computer back in line. i also added the 93 octane programming and tighter shifts, it made a bit of a difference as well.

Old 07-22-2006, 06:01 PM

well i hope you didn't have to drive to PA.

yeah, the speedo being off i figured on, which will maul the mileage... i'll ask the dealer about keeping my warranty in place... not that it matters as i'm sure serious trail damage will void it anyway.

toyo's en-route.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:40 AM

actually, i made it to the rubi today, got some nice rash from it too. rock sliders are FRICKIN' SWEET when it comes to saving the body panels. i'll have pics of the rash tomorrow.

as for the programming and bigger tires, neither will affect the warranty, and offroading is what the truck was made for. so unless you've abused it beyond reasonable use, you shouldn't have a problem. even with the undercarriage damage i got today, i wouldn't expect them to deny anything. unless i asked them for a straight skid plate . . . .[8D]

Old 07-23-2006, 05:43 AM

thats good to hear. my skid plate is about to get bedlinered, i think, as its basically rubbed through in a couple of places. my nice painted bumper is completely mutilated, so i might beg the dealer to trade me for a black one.

sliders and rash pictures would be sweet.