PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to the Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Default Back to the Instrument Cluster

Got my new Cluster. Anyone know if I may have a prob starting my truck up agin after the new one's in? I'm hearing rumors...Anyone who's done this before...Help!!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Default RE: Back to the Instrument Cluster

i haven't done it before, and the only thing it says in the shop manual is that the "new I/P cluster must be synchronized to the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) module in order to synchronize the new cluster" it gives a reference back to trim panel replacement, but that doesn't mention anything about any synchronization. i wish i had some better info for you, but other than that, it looks like a simple swap out. have you tried to start the truck yet, or are you too nervous?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:46 PM

Truck started fine. Seems to be working fine. What is the Suplemental Resttaint thing? What does it do? I plan on taking the truck to the dealership tomorrow to do the thing with mileage.
Was I afraid? Nope...Just wasn't sure it was gonna start...

Old 11-20-2007, 04:41 AM

ORIGINAL: hmmrgrl

Truck started fine. Seems to be working fine. What is the Suplemental Resttaint thing? What does it do? I plan on taking the truck to the dealership tomorrow to do the thing with mileage.
Was I afraid? Nope...Just wasn't sure it was gonna start...
that is your Airbag system (Suplemental Resttaint thing?) learned that when I had a bad Fuse on it before and the Garage could not locate the prob. [:@]was driving around weeks without airbagsystem on

Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 AM

at least it works,thats a plus

Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 PM

Thanks for all of your help!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:29 PM

Wow! This has truned into a nightmare!!! So I go to the GM dealer so they can do a "reprogam" on my new instument Cluster, right? After 2 hours on the phone w/ GM, the service manager reports that he CANNOT reprogram my new cluster because I drove the truck to him. It has 45 miles on it and apparently he can't put the original miles on it because the computer "locks down" once the truck is driven! So get this. I gotta put the old broken one back in the truck, take him the new one so he can send it to some company called SpecMo so they can erase the memory, then bring the truck back to him so he can install the now "new" cluster and program it with the actual mileage. This is crazy! How hard can this be! I am so frustrated! Anyway. Just wanted to vent. At this rate I should've just payed the $500 and something and had it done! Anyone encounter this mess?

Old 11-23-2007, 02:37 AM

Yup!

This is the process in place to prevent DIY guys from rolling back their odometer. This is one job it does not pay to do yourself, unless you have access to the reprogrammer....

Good warning to others attempting to do this.

Question: Why did you need to pull the whole cluster? Are all of the gauges connected together? If not, you could just re&re the broken part, and leave the speedo/odo alone. i.e. keep the old one, and replace just whatever part of the cluster was malfunctioning. Or is it just one big circuit board that needs replacement in its entirety?

Old 11-26-2007, 04:31 PM

What year is your truck and did they tell you to come in and get it
programed after you got it?

Old 11-26-2007, 05:23 PM

My truck is a 2005. Yeah, they told me to come and get it programmed right away. Which I did. But I had to drive it to the dealer. And that put 45 miles on it...and now they can't program it.

Quick Reply: Back to the Instrument Cluster