Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Back in the fold after 4 years: New ‘07 H2

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 03:22 AM
Default Back in the fold after 4 years: New ‘07 H2

Hey guys, I'm back after I lost my H2 and the rest of my toys in my divorce. Not a new member so thought this the appropriate place to say hey.

I picked up another black on black H2, this time with a suspension lift; it's an '07 (last one was an '06). My knowledge base for most of the annoying issues/fixes is decent however I'm new to lifted trucks so need some input/advice.

It looks like the truck has a 6" suspension lift, I have little to no information on the setup as the dealer took it on trade in. I searched but didn't come up with anything, but hoping the previous owner was a forum member.

I'm still waiting on delivery, purchased from Florida and shipping to Texas; should have it in the next week but I'm still in Afghanistan and won't be home until May to finally see her in the flesh.

What I know about the H2:
  • History
    • Carfax shows great maintenance records
    • No accidents
    • 3 owners
    • 133,000 miles on the odometer (verified)
  • Mechanical
    • PPI: only issues were worn front brake pads, dealer replaced them at no cost
    • Transmission/Transfer Case/Diff: all in great working order with fresh fluid changes throughout it's life, last one was 5 months back or so
    • No codes thrown on diagnostic
    • Wheel bearings are solid but i'll update with Timken bearings when it arrives
  • Interior
    • Barely worn, probably had the seats redone at some point
    • Bastardized wiring to unknown lights, coming through side of center console which plugs into the cigarette lighter (with a switch on it), so odd, but it's Florida after all
    • No evidence of leaks (dry carpet on driver/passenger floor)
    • 3rd row seat...cool to have, did they make a second seat for the 3rd row? I have 3 kids now, so it'll come in handy
  • Exterior
    • Spare tire carrier: last H2 I had didn't have one and I want to remove this one
    • 6" suspension lift (mfg unknown as I can't ID from pics)
    • 40" Pirelli PS22's on 20" wheels (don't know mfg)
      • Can't find any information on how these tires perform off road or on road, looks like they're military supplied; info is welcomed
    • Missing "bumper" pieces in front of each front tire below the grille (I like the look, assume the PO did as well explaining why the previous owner removed them)
    • Trim piece under passenger door is pushed up, so that'll have to be addressed

Plans are:
  • Remove bastardized wiring
  • Blackout the chrome grille
  • Put on Black Rhino Armory wheels in black
  • Learn more about the tires, keep them while I’m deployed, upgrade when it won’t be sitting do much
  • Replace all fluids, Drive for a bit, change all fluids & check for metallic shavings
  • Replace all filters (oil, air)
  • Remove spare tire carrier
  • Remove roof racks
  • Remove side steps
  • Switch chrome fuel cap for black fuel cap/cover
  • Upgrade all interior/exterior lights to LED

Photos from the dealer (really nice honest folks)

Last edited by Reaper550; 02-04-2020 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:12 AM

Wow, I use to drive buy that dealer on amelia island every day, funny I'm also in Afghanistan, Nice rig

Last edited by Booch; 02-04-2020 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2020, 08:00 AM

That is a tough looking rig,Congratulations!

I think your plan is a good one, sounds like you thought it through.

Thanks for protecting this great country of ours.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Booch
Wow, I use to drive buy that dealer on amelia island every day, funny I'm also in Afghanistan, Nice rig
Thanks brother. Small world huh? I'm down in KAF if you're this way let me know & the green bean is on me!

Last edited by Reaper550; 02-04-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:12 AM
Default Afghanistan

Originally Posted by Reaper550
Thanks brother. Small world huh? I'm down in KAF if you're this way let me know & the green bean is on me!
My son just got back from Kandahar. He was there for 9 months. NJ National guard.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:11 PM

Congrats & thanks for your service!
Yes, they replaced the lower front seat pads- wonder if they R&R'd the seat heaters...

Corrugated plastic wire loom needs to be removed & replaced (engine bay wiring looms) - (just did mine and it was also a southern vehicle)

Lucky - you have no air suspension - that was what I wanted for mine (this is my 4th) however air suspension was on it-

Did they check the exhaust manifold bolts? They seem to always be snapped on at least one manifold by that mileage....

Congrats again! Great looking rig!

Old 02-04-2020, 03:23 PM

looks like there is some water maybe coming off the drivers a pillar handle on the dash and some water marks going down the fuse panel cover

Old 02-04-2020, 11:25 PM

calif phil: Thanks man, sometimes the best plans are the simplest. No need for thanks, i'm just a dirty Contractor.

Originally Posted by Chrmer3
Congrats & thanks for your service!
Yes, they replaced the lower front seat pads- wonder if they R&R'd the seat heaters...

Corrugated plastic wire loom needs to be removed & replaced (engine bay wiring looms) - (just did mine and it was also a southern vehicle)

Lucky - you have no air suspension - that was what I wanted for mine (this is my 4th) however air suspension was on it-

Did they check the exhaust manifold bolts? They seem to always be snapped on at least one manifold by that mileage....

Congrats again! Great looking rig!
Thanks! Yes, I was hunting for a setup with no air suspension after my last H2, took awhile but I found one. Almost forgot about the dreaded manifold bolts! No exhaust leaks on the PPI so they're in good-enough shape, but i'm planning on headers in the next year and i'll be replacing those while i'm in there. I'm curious about the seat heaters myself; the buttons light up but they didn't say if they heat hahaha. On the looms, are you just referring to the wiring covers?

bronxteck: Yeah that's a good catch, I'll have to inspect it when I get home, hopefully it's just water dripping off the door when it's opened & raining.

mcioci: I'm glad your son is back home safe & enjoying the good life, I can send some "moon dust" if he gets to missing it.

Exterior damage: I just noticed in the pics that the passenger side rocker panel molding is messed up/ riding high relative to the door line & rock bar. Any ideas on where I can get a replacement plastic molding? The rock rail doesn't look damaged except for a ding near the front tire, just scratching my head trying to figure out what would cause the rocker panel to ride up like that.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:59 AM

Exterior damage:
they might have lifted the body from there to do the lift and bent the rocker

Old 02-05-2020, 03:46 PM

I do have a full set of the factory rockers in great condition but boxing them for shipping them would be a big pain in the rear due to the length of the side pieces. You will also need to get the correct type of clips that attach them as they are not designed to be reusable (nearly all will break when you attempt to remove the rockers). I'll take a look in the next week or so and see if I can figure an easy way to package them and what sort of price i might want for the set.

Aside from that there are still a few sets of the special edition wheel flares on eBay. Pricey but what is different is that they are larger than the standard ones (notice they they have an indentation to work around the side marker lights). https://www.ebay.com/itm/274036994087

I got a set (including the long side rockers but standard ones painted to match) which is why I have a set of the standard ones. On the special editions the long side pieces have a inset part for the special edition u-steps.

Quick Reply: Back in the fold after 4 years: New ‘07 H2