Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Automatic rain sensor + parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 03:02 PM
Default Automatic rain sensor + parking sensors

Another general question, does anyone know of an after-market automatic wash-wipe system, you know to bring the H2 upto modern standards?

Also, similar question, for after-market front/rear parking sensors?

Old 03-03-2019, 05:02 AM

Let me ask another question.

Would anyone like to upgrade their wash-wipe to a fully automatic, rain-sensing, rain activated system whilts at the same time keeping the old system completely intact?

Please let me know if this interests you.

The Hummer was a great vehicle in its time, all it seems to be missing are rain-sensors, tyre-pressure TPMS (older trucks) and parking sensors (older trucks) to bring it up to modern tech. We can't buy new Hummers, so why not improve what we have?

Last edited by oceanbrave; 03-03-2019 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:36 AM

Some of this could be interesting for sure. I've already added one thing like this on my 2003. Later models (I think 05-07) have a feature called global windows which is two additional buttons on the driver door heated seats button panel. To add this to to an earlier model you need both the button panel with the additional buttons and the DDM (driver door module) which is the master power windows switch on the driver door. On my 1999 GMC truck I've also added some options from later 2003-2007 trucks that were not available on mine like a driver info center (economy rating, etc), factory electric cooling fans, and other factory options which it did not come with like the roof clearance lights, steering wheel controls, etc. What was important to me was to add these items using only factory components including the wiring harnesses. To pull some of it off I've had to replace the ECM and BCM as well to get the programming needed for things to work as they should.

One that I'm also going to be doing on my H2 will be the electric cooling fans. I'm not fond of the occasional school bus roar or the performance losses of the clutch fan. There is only one true "right" way to do it though and it does require adding the correct wires to the ECM, getting the complete harness from a donor vehicle (scrap yards) which includes the series/parallel relay and fuse setup that our fuse block already has a place for it to attach, and then enabling the fans in the ECM tune. Also another bit you can find is a different under hood fuse box shroud/cover which has a secondary lid to access the relays for the fans and finally you need to upgrade the alternator to a factory higher output one. When done this way the fans are 100% factory and controlled through the ECM based on vehicle speeds (they will not cut on above about 40mph as that is pointless), AC head pressures (not just on because the ac compressor is on), and of course engine temperatures. Eventually I will do a full writeup on this conversion as well. When done right the electric fans provide cooling just as well as the clutch fan and as a big bonus when stopped, for example at a stoplight, in extremely hot weather your AC will be much colder than it will with the clutch fan, you will have a LOT more room in front of the engine, less wear on the water pump bearings, and more power. The power is not all freed up though - the fans still need power and it has to come from somewhere. With electric fans its just a stronger load on the alternator instead of on the front of the water pump but its far less noticable and parameters in the engine tune will shut them off under certain conditions like WOT as long as temps are below a certain threshold.

On the ones you are looking at. I'd be interested in the rain sensing wipers and parking sensors for sure. Not some much the tire pressure sensors though. I've always just found those to be annoying.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:34 AM

An amazing and impressive amount of work you've done there, you have my full admiration. Not sure I could ever be that brave, after all I am just a beginner (although I did remple my A/C system that was stressful enough!)

As you say the "global windows" is on the 2005 and is a good feature, so too would be the economy rating (although I just watch the fuel gauge and weep )

One thing I'd like to do is aquire a scrap instrument cluster and completly reverse-engineer it to gain an in-depth understanding (just as I did for the AS ECU) I see many issues with and numerous "fixes" but it strike me that no one really knows about the electronics. We've all fixed servos (like the speedo) but some of the faults seem due to bad electronics so I'd like to get to the bottom of those. In truth I'd like to make an LCD instrument cluster with in-built DTC, something better than an ELM but 1st things 1st. It seems nuts that we get an engine waring light and can't instantly assess it. Decoding the GMC serial comms and doing the software/electronics would be the fun part! Oh one day!