Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Default Any ideas

Any ideas?
i was bypassing the factory amp and a speaker wire touched a hot wire now no sound. Head unit is fine?

Old 10-01-2020, 08:08 PM

Is the amp bypassed? Or did you stop bypassing when you saw sparks? If you still are still on the amp check the amp fuse. If you just bypassed the amp to the head unit there may not be enough power for the head unit to power the speakers without an amp.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:30 PM

Speakers can take a hot wire without an issue, unless connected too long, then you may see smoke. Check your fuses.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:56 PM

it was bypassed and playing through the speakers as I was tying in the last speaker is when it happened. I bench test the head unit with other speakers without issue. What else is running through the down stream harness after the amp???
thanks for any help.

Originally Posted by Blackbus
Is the amp bypassed? Or did you stop bypassing when you saw sparks? If you still are still on the amp check the amp fuse. If you just bypassed the amp to the head unit there may not be enough power for the head unit to power the speakers without an amp.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:11 PM

then if the radio tested fine you will now have to pull a panel off and test at the speaker locations with your test speaker.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:37 PM

Thanks I’ll be doing a full wire chase this weekend.

Originally Posted by bronxteck
then if the radio tested fine you will now have to pull a panel off and test at the speaker locations with your test speaker.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:02 AM

Check the 30amp fuse under the hood its labeled amp I think and might have a back door power supply to head unit.

Tim

Old 10-03-2020, 11:36 AM
Default Confused

Went head unit directly to speaker wires still no sound. Do the speaker wires go through the sub? If so is the sub fused?

Old 10-03-2020, 12:16 PM

no i think the amp controls the sub. maybe the amp is in protect mode. pull its fuse and see if it resets. if you cant pull the fuse i guess disconnect the battery

Old 10-05-2020, 01:04 PM

Seems like some confusion. To be clear, bypassing the factory head unit or bypassing the factory amp? I'm assuming amp since you specifically stated "bypassing the factory amp" and one does not bypass a head unit, they replace it. In any case somewhere on these forums is a thread on the factory stereo systems that has the full factory wiring diagrams, pinouts, etc for both types of factory systems. Just going to have to search some to hunt it down. Could be very helpful though.

Quick Reply: Any ideas