Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

annoying tapping noise from front end when driving faster then 20mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 12:15 PM
Default annoying tapping noise from front end when driving faster then 20mph

hello, the past few days i drove with my windows down and i noticed a tapping noise and it seems to be barely noticeable at 20mph and gets noticeable at 45mph, it seems to get louder the faster i go up to an extent because then the wind noise ends up hiding the noise. it seems to be coming from my driver side wheel area, i dont really know because i can only hear it when i am driving. it seems to keep making the noise when i am at speed whether i let go of the gas or i acccelerate. i notice when i slow down and drive in parking lots i cant really hear it, i dont think its there but it could be super faint that i cant hear it. it doesnt seem to get louder if i am decellerating.

any idea what it could be? i peaked under and dont see anything and also i kicked the hub caps cuz maybe it was loose but doesnt seem to be that.
it literally sounds as if a zip tie is slapping the road type of noise

Old 08-25-2020, 02:13 PM

check your tires. maybe something caught in the tread or a tire de laminating.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:20 PM

hmm the only thing i see is a few rocks. you think that would probably be it?
i guess now that i think of it, it ciuld definetely make a noise

Old 08-25-2020, 02:42 PM

I know I can hear a rock on mine (or not as good a nail or screw).... All terrain and mud tires are very good at getting small stones stuck in the tread.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:47 PM

definitely could be rocks. i constantly have to pluck them out of my tread for the same reason.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:06 PM

Pull the wheel off and check for anything loose behind there- Maybe something touching around the plate behind the rotor?.....

Old 08-25-2020, 06:25 PM

Ahah thanks so much. Such a small over looked issue but I think it was rocks. I didn’t really notice the noise but will test soon

Old 09-03-2020, 10:41 AM

I was hoping to find an answer to my similar issue.

Once I hit 70mph (not all that often in the Hummer, but sometimes on our Michigan highways where speed limit is either 70mph or 75mph) I hear a tapping noise that to me, sounds like it's coming from the passenger roof area. At first I thought maybe something was broken on the side of the sunroof guard, but that seems fine. Checked the corner roof light, it's tight and sealed. I've had this H2 since last September and still haven't figured it out.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by kzoohummer
I was hoping to find an answer to my similar issue.

Once I hit 70mph (not all that often in the Hummer, but sometimes on our Michigan highways where speed limit is either 70mph or 75mph) I hear a tapping noise that to me, sounds like it's coming from the passenger roof area. At first I thought maybe something was broken on the side of the sunroof guard, but that seems fine. Checked the corner roof light, it's tight and sealed. I've had this H2 since last September and still haven't figured it out.
I would bet money its the windshield trim, the black vertical trimpiece at edge of windshield. Remove it and put double sided tape or caulk behind it. That will solve it I would bet.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:29 PM

Yep - that or the actual wipers. I found on mine that the more modern aerodynamic "beam" type wipers do not work well at all with the very vertical windshield. Tried two different ones a couple of years ago and they vibrated, chattered, and made noise. Changed them out to Rain X basic metal ones (similar to the factory style) and have been a lot happier. Mine also had the windshield trim panels making noise. 3M VHB tape took care of that...

Quick Reply: annoying tapping noise from front end when driving faster then 20mph