Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Air-Ride Replace single with dual compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 03:09 PM

Doesn't the unit exhaust thru the 2 intake ports?

Old 05-12-2023, 05:51 PM

This was my old twin unit, you can see the exhaust nozzle in red. I replayed some videos and I'm pretty confident my exhaust port vented straight to atmosphere i.e. no pipe.

The newer exhaust valve looks to be a better design, so perhaps as finall suggests, internally it vents air back through the intake(s) which would make a lot of sense.

Its probably nothing to worry about, it's safe to assume there will be an exhaust path back-out, in my opinion that is.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:17 PM

i believe the canister is the exhaust port no? used as an air diffuser?

Old 05-13-2023, 08:58 AM

Excellent! Thanks everyone. My "new" compressor assembly is from a 2007 and looks like finall's picture which I reposted. I did see the little nipple on it, but it didn't look like it went anywhere or functional.

In about 6 or 8 weeks I'll post my experience spending 15-20k having frame transplant and all new suspension. Really nervous as I have a perfect looking and functioning low mileage truck right now. Just frame having a couple spots of rust through. So many old things need to be pulled apart and put back together. I wish I could do this myself, but I dont have a lift or enough space for two frames and a body to be in process for months.

Im sure most people would just convert to springs. The new frame has coil springs. Not sure if original or converted. But Im fussy about keeping my cars fully functioning as new.

Thanks again!

Old 05-13-2023, 05:42 PM

"Im sure most people would just convert to springs"well some of us are dedicated "air-ride" ✔️ the main issue is the shortage of spare parts 😔

The "little nipple" is probably it, the large black canister on the left is the dryer, as the inlets valves open, air is dumped from the bags, backwards through the dryer and out through the tiny exhaust valve.

It's probably deliberately made small to prevent the bags deflating too rapidly, a bit like pressing the schrader valve on a car tire.

Good luck with the build, hope all goes well 🤞

Old 01-23-2024, 04:41 PM

Hey all... after 6 months I finally have my H2 back with replaced frame. In fact the list of original parts under the truck much is shorter than the list of new parts. I fear I have way overspent, but thats what happens.
The entire air ride suspension is replaced. I got a really nice salvaged compressor assembly, all new lines, and bags. Everything is nearly perfect. Nearly!

First issue is that the truck is sitting 1 inch lower on the driver side. So I need to recalibrate the height sensors. A few years back I had replaced the bags and sensors and used a Snap-on scan tool which successfully learned the ride height, but now Im getting an "out of range" error. The prior time I used two pieces of 2X4 on the rear axle in place of the blocks which the dealers had and it worked perfect. This time I just followed what someone else did and set the truck at the desired ride height using jacks. Im thinking that it must need to be setting on the 2X4s or blocks to initiate the ride height learn?

Second issue is that the system deflated over 3 weeks sitting in the garage. Last night I started the truck and it came back up to height. I sprayed soapy water on all the fittings and found its leaking at the pressure port for the right bag. I see it bubbling around the outside of the metal collar on the port, so not around the line. Would this mean that the line just isnt seated properly, or is the port fitting damaged? Also, I would have thought that if the right side port is leaking that only the right side would sag down, but both sides settled evenly.

It never ends..... any expertise is hugely appreciated!

Old 01-23-2024, 08:52 PM

I used a jack to level and recalibrate with no issue.
I had the same issue with the last Firestone air springs i bought. One leaked very slowly at the fitting. I trimmed the airline and it still leaked, order another airbag and no leak.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:02 PM

Thanks BOHICA. I probably didnt describe well... mine has slow leak at the compressor. I see referred to as the valve block "gland" for the passenger air bag. Hoping this is serviceable. Maybe needs to be cleaned or something to reseal it.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:53 AM

i belive ocean brave made a video and also a thread about his endevour repairing the fittings.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:08 PM

Oceanbrave, I watched your video for servicing the compressor solenoids and fittings. Thank you very much for sharing that experience. just few questions if you dont mind....
You mentioned that the valve lock collar can be pried out with a screw driver. I imagine using care, it will just release nicely and come out in one piece? Very afraid of cracking the plastic port housing
I see you show two o-rings for each fitting. What is the placement for these? Are these further inside the port after the lock collar is pried out, or are they around the collar? What is the order of assembly?
I see you warned not to use any grease on the pipe, but you do use silicone grease on the o-rings and around the lock collar. Am I understanding that correctly?
Lastly you used some type of sonic bath to clean these parts. I dont have one of those. Is there some common product which would be recommended? Mine are not very corroded.
I am expecting my issue is just old o-rings. The compressor assembly I bought came from the hot US south. So I expect just dried out. Thinking I might try to source new o-rings of same size.

Thank you!!!

Quick Reply: Air-Ride Replace single with dual compressor