Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Aftermarket double din head unit and amp question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 02:38 PM
Default Aftermarket double din head unit and amp question

While replacing the heater core I discovered a rats nest of wiring for the aftermarket stereo the PO installed. I also learned that the OEM Bose Amp was replaced with an aftermarket part.

The aftermarket amp is only 2 channel so the sub-woofer is non operating. The PO only wired front and rear speakers, I assume the sub has it's own connection separate from these speakers.

Can I just get another OEM Bose amp and connect the aftermarket head unit so the oem sub-woofer operates?

Is there a reason why the OEM Bose amp won't function with an aftermarket head unit?

Old 05-06-2020, 03:31 PM

the oem bose needs a interface module to interface with it. the previous owner probably had another amp wired in for a sub.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:50 PM

Judging by the quality of the wiring job the PO probably did not do that, otherwise the wiring and sub-woofer amp would be present.

OK, so if I keep the existing setup do I just need to get a sub-woofer amp?

This JVC head unit has Sub RCA output and the Alpine amp has a trigger wire to connect another amp to it.
This amp is compact and only 45 watts per channel so lots of room in the OEM location to ads another amp.

What is the max output of the OEM Bose sub-woofer so I get correct wattage sub-woofer amp my guess is not too much and do they make a low watt sub-amp ?

Perhaps I can stay will the Alpine brand and they make one that is compatible with the amp I already have? I was able to get the Owner's manual off the interweb, I will do the same with the head unit.

The system is really clean sounding but no BASS because the sub is not connected.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:09 PM

the OEM sub is under the dash behind the center console. they might not have used it. they might have had an aftermarket sub located in the rear of the truck. some tend to add amps under the rear seats. or use self powered subs.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:05 AM

I added a sub under the rear drivers side seat with its own amp. It sounds perfect to me with a 10" sub plus fits nicely. I'm not one of those play it so loud you break out your windows but the subtle deep tones make a huge difference. Most of the Bose stuff is over priced and completely non flexible.

Tim

Old 05-07-2020, 01:12 PM

I bought the Alpine KTA-200M Sub-woofer amp, it is compact like the head unit amp I already have.

The head unit I have has a sub out so it should be plug and play. I just need to locate the OEM sub-woofer wires on the harness under the console.
I am sure the system will sound much better once the sub-woofer is operational again.

I have removed the useless onstar and will fab a cubby hole.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:16 PM

I spent some time with the repair manual and found the stereo wiring harness, soon as the new parts arrive I can wrap this up.
Meanwhile I can repaint the center dash cover and floor console to freshen the interior up.

I plan to replace the rear bumper this summer and will add a backup camera at that time.