Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Active Fuel Management For H2

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Default Active Fuel Management For H2

I am a newbie with a 2005 H2 (Lemon Square). I searched the forums for this topic but haven't seen it. Forgive me if it is covered under a different thread.

Is it possible to program the H2 engine for Active Fuel Management? I have seen that suggested on other Hummer forums but there isn't much info.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 PM

hey can you explain what this is all about?

Old 08-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Default Active fuel management 2007 H2 Lux Special edition

Looking for info on active fuel management. I saw an earlier post with no answers except someone thinking it was traction control.
I moved feom a yukon denali xl to the H2 amd am missing the 4 cyl. Drop down on easier roads. Anyone swap out engines or know if the computer modules in the H2 can accommodate this? I understand its lifters and ports so not just an easy swap. Maybe top end only? i currently get 12-13 mpg and plan a tune but thought this might be a good thing to be educated on first.
any help is appreciated.
(I do roughly 60k a year in miles so its important)

thanks in advance!
Penny

Old 08-11-2017, 02:27 PM

It is possible to swap VVT onto GM LS engines. You can start here for info:

GM's Variable Valve Timing System Performance Test - Hot Rod Network

I have no clue how much the electronics and intake system would be.

It were me I'd look for a better stock style cam and a mail order tune or live tune if you have the know how. 12-13 mpg is not bad for our trucks. Keep in mind the H2 weighs 2000 or so pounds more than a Tahoe so you can't expect the same mileage, not to mention it has the same drag as a vertical piece of plywood.

Tim

Old 08-12-2017, 08:13 AM

Most people with the AFM in Tahoe's and Yukons want to disable the AFM with a tune or Range device. Too many problems with the lifters failing. I would find a different vehicle to put the 60k miles a year on and save the H2 for weekend getaways.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:36 AM

I was gonna say..... I've never once heard of someone wanting to add AFM. Thousands and thousands of those wanting to disable it though. I'd be pretty darn happy with 12-13 mpg highway. Mine averages about 11.2 to 11.7 on the highway but I do tend to be a bit heavy footed and the interstates here are not very flat though. I've tried for a more a few times and did get 13 once but that was staying around 60mph and using the cruise control the whole time. You just dont get an H2 with the idea of any sort of economy in mind. Hummer H2 and economy are generally incompatible terms.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I was gonna say..... I've never once heard of someone wanting to add AFM. Thousands and thousands of those wanting to disable it though. I'd be pretty darn happy with 12-13 mpg highway. Mine averages about 11.2 to 11.7 on the highway but I do tend to be a bit heavy footed and the interstates here are not very flat though. I've tried for a more a few times and did get 13 once but that was staying around 60mph and using the cruise control the whole time. You just dont get an H2 with the idea of any sort of economy in mind. Hummer H2 and economy are generally incompatible terms.
- Not really set on better mileage just wondered if it was doable. Im not a park it kind of girl. Id rather drive it and enjoy every minute. But who wouldnt want more.mpg if possible right? Thamks all of the imput.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:37 AM

A heavy *** H2 kicked down to 4 or 6 cylinders.....good luck moving that thing around. It works great in my wifes ss Camaro, I don't think it has a place in large SUV's.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:50 AM

Look at a better cam and tune. That will make an improvement.

Tim

Old 08-28-2017, 04:30 PM

In 2008 the Hummer was shipped with the L92 engine. It has VVT and no AFM.
Same for 2009, then they were done.

Quick Reply: Active Fuel Management For H2