Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 03:09 AM
Default AC issue

not sure what’s wrong my AC definitely not blowing cold air and anytime i turn it on it SQUEELS yes like a whole squirrel is in it right when it starts and every 20 seconds .. was wondering if anyone knows what this issue is and how to fix the AC

heres link to a video of the sound
sound

Old 08-27-2022, 09:53 AM

Could be anything from a bad belt to a bad compressor. Start with the belt.

Tim

Old 08-27-2022, 10:35 AM
Default belt….

Originally Posted by flashinq
not sure what’s wrong my AC definitely not blowing cold air and anytime i turn it on it SQUEELS yes like a whole squirrel is in it right when it starts and every 20 seconds .. was wondering if anyone knows what this issue is and how to fix the AC

heres link to a video of the sound
sound
sounds like loose belt to me, or it maybe coolant leaking down on the belt making it squeel, possible also…

the a/c is its own, not connected to the serpentine belt…

Old 08-27-2022, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by tharber
Could be anything from a bad belt to a bad compressor. Start with the belt.

Tim
how do i fix the belt

Old 08-27-2022, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2004H2
sounds like loose belt to me, or it maybe coolant leaking down on the belt making it squeel, possible also…

the a/c is its own, not connected to the serpentine belt…
how do i tighten belt

Old 08-27-2022, 05:21 PM

Look here:

How do I know if belt tensioner is bad?
One of the most common symptoms of a bad or failing drive belt tensioner is noise from the belts or tensioner. If the tensioner is loose the belts may squeak or squeal, especially when the engine is first started.

Old 08-27-2022, 11:15 PM

I had horrible screech from mine awhile back. I was hoping it was the belt. Unfortunately, the belt and tensioner were fine. But you definitely want to inspect those first as they are the easiest issues to deal with. The belt is only $30 or less for a Dayco.

I think in my case the AC clutch crapped the bed and was the source of the screeching. I ended up replacing the compressor (Denso), new dryer/accumulator, belt, and orifice tube. I didn't have any metal shavings in the orifice tube, so I didn't replace the condenser. Pulled a vacuum, held for 1.5 hours, and recharged the refrigerant. Low/high pressures are good and normal, but it doesn't seem to get as cold as I think it should. On a calibrated dial thermometer, I can't get under 60 degrees out of the vent at idle, even with a fan blowing over the condenser...and that's at only 80/85 degrees ambient. Driving 40MPH, it hardly gets to low 50s. Using an infrared laser thermometer (with good reviews about accuracy), I get low 40s from the vent. It's a bad comparison, but my Honda can hit 40 on the same dial thermometer at 40MPH and 22 on the infrared shot into the vent. I never took temperature tests prior to it going out, so I'm not sure what it was previously.

But definitely check the easiest stuff first. If you need to replace the compressor, it's easiest to remove the wheel well and take it out from there.

Old 08-28-2022, 04:11 PM

same for me 60 at the vents. also from many posts it seems about the standard for the 03-07. but never has been clearly verified if that is normal. i wonder if it is because there is no electrical assist fan on the AC condensor like other gm models have. i know dodge rams have mechanical clutch fans but also use an electric assist fan.

Old 08-28-2022, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
same for me 60 at the vents. also from many posts it seems about the standard for the 03-07. but never has been clearly verified if that is normal. i wonder if it is because there is no electrical assist fan on the AC condensor like other gm models have. i know dodge rams have mechanical clutch fans but also use an electric assist fan.
Good to know! Mine is a 2007. I've been thinking something was off since replacing parts. The dial thermometer isn't in the green zone until 45F or so. In addition to low and high gauges reading correctly with the correct charge, I've taken temps of the orifice tube, compressor suction line, dryer, compressor, and condenser inlet and outlet. All of the temps match the correct ranges according to Nissens. I guess this the best we can expect from this system. At least now I can move on to another project and quit thinking there is something wrong with my vent temp.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:45 PM

Its difficult to come up with a 100% guideline, it depends on the relative humidity, temperature of the air being pulled into the evaporator, temperature of the air flowing through the evaporator. A good rule of thumb would be if your A/C is properly charged and all the components are working as they should you can expect the ambient inlet air temperatures to be 70° degrees Fahrenheit (21° Celsius) and humidity 20%, the AC outlet air temperature should be in the 35°-40° degrees Fahrenheit range.

In a Hummer H2 the door issue can be a real problem, you need to verify they are properly operating before doing temperature checks.

Quick Reply: AC issue