PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Burning tire" smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Default "Burning tire" smell

During the three snows we've had here I've noticed a "burning tire" smell fora best description. The smell seems to come from the muffler area. I've checked underneath the rear bumper areafor exposed wiring from my aftermarket hitch, tire issues etc. So far nothing found. The bottomof the muffler seems to be getting "bubbled" and turing brown already (08 H3 with 24,000) - don't know if that's the problem especially since it only happens with snow and ice.
The last twist to this is it juststarted with these snow days and does not happen any other time - rain, car wash, dry etc.
Anyoneelse had anything similar or have any ideas???

Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Default RE: "Burning tire" smell

I work for a Hummer dealer in service and this has been a concern for all the years the h3 has been out. I think it is somthing they add to the salt or it could be the salt. It smells like burning rubber and in the rear of the truck. I have looked at several of these trucks and find nothing wrong but the stuff seems to stick to the tailpipes and mufflers and may cause it. When the weather gets warm again it goes away. Steve

Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 AM

WHEW!!
Thanks for the quick response and for actaully knowing what I am talking about. I thought I had screwed something up or had big problems. I can live with the "smell" as long as nothing is wrong.
Let me ask you another question since you work in a Hummer service department. Would a different exhaust ie stainless steel or something make a difference? Maybe the de-icer would clean off better? I don't know just a thought. Can't afford $700+ for a new exhaust right now but it'd be another good "excxuse" to use withmomma for a futureupgrade.
Thanks again.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:26 PM

I don't think stainless exhaust would make a difference. I have smelled this on other cars to like the H2 and Cadillac. Steve

Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 PM

I have been having the same issue with mine. We have had many days with .5" of snow and the salt trucks seem to be out constantly. I notice that the smell does go away and come back some times. Your salt theory makes sense, because I seem to only notice it after is snows..... weird

Does anyone else notice this?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 AM

We have the same issue. I don't know how much is salt related vs. just being wet. I've noticed the odor when the exhaust is just wet but it is more noticable in the winter with snow and the crap they spread on the roads. I've looked under the car and never found anything wrong. Just an odd smell. Good to know it's nothing really bad. Thanks Hummer Service guy!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 AM

And here I thought it was me. I've also noticed the odor. Like everyone else I couldn't find anything wrong. But, why has thisNEVER happened with ANY other vehicle I've ever had? Very odd!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM

But I live in Oklahoma & get that smell. Hasen't snowed here in some time??

Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Smelled it today after driving through that mushy salt snow garbage.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:19 PM

i have smelled it when some friends and i went off road and we got in the mud

Quick Reply: "Burning tire" smell