PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 buttons are not lit and do not work

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Default 4x4 buttons are not lit and do not work

Hello all.

I am new to the forum, just purchased a 2004 H2 yesterday from an auction.

There is quite a few issues that I could not see right away. but most are fairly straight forward and like the abs and traction control light that came on as soon as I left the auction but I am a bit stumped on the issue of the 4x4 lights not working

None of the 4x4 buttons light up and when I try to engage from 4 to 4 lock it does not do anything, no light and no sounds. Tried 4 low by putting it in neutral, and nothing still. Traction control button doesn't do anything either yet tow haul below it does.

I checked the TREC fuse under the hood and its good and the 4x4 fuse in the cab is ok. I did not have a voltmeter with me to check if power is at the fuses.

What am I looking at? Wiring issues? Which there is signs of with some other things, like the blower motor for the heat that somebody repaired by putting a toggle switch in ugh. Isnt there some module for it under the steering wheel? if I remember right my old avalanche had it there.

Any help or a direction to look at would be great.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 AM

Gord, I would check your Transfer Case Motor, that is the likely culprit, they go out fairly often.
ACDELCO 89059688 {#19167720} GM Original Equipment Info4 Speed

Old 11-18-2018, 09:39 AM

The button packs are known to go bad. I would start with those then move onto the encoder motor. The buttons can also act up then work fine, they have issues for some reason. Mine used to act up when I first bought it but never had an issue for ages.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:34 PM

I had the exact same issues when I bought mine.
Turns out that my transfer case connector was very dirty. Cleaned it with some contact cleaner and the 4x4 high light turned on. Unfortunately, also the abs, brake and traction control light also lit up :-(

I ended up having to replace the abs control module attached to the abs pump since it got water damage.

All the warning lights turned off and I got my 4x4 low and diff locking working again.

From time to time, my tc light comes back on and sometimes the abs and brake lights also. Turning the engine off and back on solves the problem every time. I will eventually look into this as well as it seems to be a speed sensor related problem.