Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2008 H2 Clunks When Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 02:54 PM

Could be front differential crossmember bushing.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:13 PM

After collecting my $135, the dealer told me it's axle wrap, and i just have to live with it. Taking it to Tustin Hummer this week for a 2nd opinion.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by loddy
After collecting my $135, the dealer told me it's axle wrap, and i just have to live with it. Taking it to Tustin Hummer this week for a 2nd opinion.
I have an 05 since 2008 and this truck never clunked. I have an 08 since May of 2016 and it has that clunk too. I wonder if this clunk only happens on the 08-09 models. Keep us informed on any new information you find.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 AM

I've had an 07 and 3 08s. My current 08 H2 has fewer miles than all previous H2s I've owned and this is the only one that ever had the dreaded clunk. I'm going to try the Outfitter Design bushing kit when I upgrade my gears, I've heard good things from other users.

H2 Differential Crossmember Bushing

Old 08-04-2017, 10:48 AM

Diminished clunk....

Just thought I would throw this out there as I'm still planning the bushing kit but today I had an 02 sensor trip the check engine light, pulled out my flashpaq f5 tuner that until this point I had only used for my oversized tires. Long story short I cleared the code but then decided to go one step further and set the ECM to the Flashpaq performance tune as I already run 93 octane. I set all 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shift points to the recommended Flashpaq settings and went for a drive! Idle is up about 75 rpm but oddly the truck stopped giving the sensation of a downshift when slowing or coasting to a stop; thus no clunk or atleast a severely diminished clunk... the only adjustments I immediately plan for is changing the 2-3 and 3-4 shift points to 75% to see if that will soften up the shift during hard acceleration.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by gopantherpride
Diminished clunk....

Just thought I would throw this out there as I'm still planning the bushing kit but today I had an 02 sensor trip the check engine light, pulled out my flashpaq f5 tuner that until this point I had only used for my oversized tires. Long story short I cleared the code but then decided to go one step further and set the ECM to the Flashpaq performance tune as I already run 93 octane. I set all 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shift points to the recommended Flashpaq settings and went for a drive! Idle is up about 75 rpm but oddly the truck stopped giving the sensation of a downshift when slowing or coasting to a stop; thus no clunk or atleast a severely diminished clunk... the only adjustments I immediately plan for is changing the 2-3 and 3-4 shift points to 75% to see if that will soften up the shift during hard acceleration.
Terminology goof on my part as I went back into the programmer; making adjustments to the 2-3 and 3-4 shift points wasn't accurate... I was actually adjusting the shift torque. I dropped down to 50% for my drive into and around town and then back up to 75% for the trip back home. I will stay at 75% shift torque for now to monitor transmission temps on longer drives and the low speed clunk sensation which was greatly reduced...

Old 08-04-2017, 06:41 PM

mine does the cluck too . I just installed a complete rebuild and upgrade tranny but still got the clunk
I never pay attention to it as it happened since I got the truck.with 60k miles

Old 03-19-2024, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by loddy
Hello all,

I just got a 2008 H2 with 25k miles.
Immediately I notice a clunk / pop when accelerating in between 15-35mph.
It doesn't happen all the time, but often happens when in sit and go traffic and down hill. In other word, when I step on the gas after the truck down shifts, it pops. I can feel the pop beneath my foot, through the floor panel. What's troubling is it doesn't clunk / pop from a complete stop or in higher speed 35 (40) mph and above.

So far the dealer have reset the learning modules on both the car and transmission. Inspected the transmission, but found no issues. They told me it's a 4x4 thing, but I have owned my H2, my other ones doesn't have the same issues.

Please help.
The noise is most likely coming from your transfer case. The chain inside comes loose and makes a popping loud sound when you accelerate from sitting still at a stop light or trying to accelerate uphill.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tiki
The noise is most likely coming from your transfer case. The chain inside comes loose and makes a popping loud sound when you accelerate from sitting still at a stop light or trying to accelerate uphill.
I have a 2006 H2 and that was the cause on mine.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:08 PM

I have a 2006 H2 and that was the cause on mine.
I.Installed a whole new transfer case and the problem is gone!

Quick Reply: 2008 H2 Clunks When Accelerating