Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2005 OEM Fuel Lid Won't Close

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 01:32 PM
Question 2005 OEM Fuel Lid Won't Close

I have a 2005 Luxury Edition. All the chrome has been LineX'ed. To the point...

Noticed yesterday after filling up that my fuel lid wouldn't close. Got home, looked at it and it seemed that there was a round, black hinge acting to manipulate it out and in and keep pressure. I read a DIY fix it and it said to open the lid 1/2", press hard on the left and try to slide out. If it did that, the spring was bad. I could not get it out. It said after this if you couldn't get it out, to use WD-40 on the area. I did that and it went from being open 1 inch to flapping like a fat lady's arms at the wind. The door then came off easily.

Anyone been here before? I don't know whether I can just take that (used to be chrome) black ring off and have a recessed fuel tank which I'd be perfectly fine with or if I do need to replace this.

Any help would be appreciated. The fuel door is sitting on the counter top.

Old 08-30-2020, 03:09 PM

You can just change it out to the standard stock black plastic. Search eBay for "Hummer H2 fuel neck" and "Hummer H2 fuel cap". Both are readily available - not certain is you need the neck part or not to be honest as once you remove the chrome lid thing it might already have that still there in good shape.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
You can just change it out to the standard stock black plastic. Search eBay for "Hummer H2 fuel neck" and "Hummer H2 fuel cap". Both are readily available - not certain is you need the neck part or not to be honest as once you remove the chrome lid thing it might already have that still there in good shape.
If I remove the ring will I simply have the same recessed black plastic fuel apparatus that the non luxury Hummers had? I ask that because frankly, I'm fine with that. My entire vehicle is blacked out.

The fuel system works fine. It's just the lid won't close. In fact, already had someone offer me money for the lid which I find hilarious. It looks like a non essential part that Hummer just threw on as it was chrome. Had I not gotten such a great deal on this thing back in the day I wouldn't have bought the Luxury edition.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:48 PM

One good way to know for sure..... take it off. I'm certain there are no special body changes or anything like that to accommodate the chrome fuel doors. As far as I'm aware they are just a bolt on accessory.