Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2004 H2 Shifter Stuck in Park, Dash Says Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:09 PM
Default 2004 H2 Shifter Stuck in Park, Dash Says Reverse

So this was scary but luckily it didn't happen until I was backing up into my parking lot at home. My shifter is stuck in park and won't budge, but the computer reads Reverse. If I took my foot off the brake it was still going in reverse. I was able to turn it off with the key and now it isn't trying to reverse, and I've got the park brake on. If I turn it back on, it still says Reverse. Am I looking at the trans cable bushing issue? I didn't have time to look at it myself yet so looking for advice when I get the chance to work on it.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:04 PM

go under the truck and look for the transmission cable. I bet you its broke. you can buy one for about $40 and put it on yourself. You can also put it back in place and drive to dealer for a new one.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:42 PM

I had the same happen to mine about 2 weeks ago, mcioci is most likely right. Unfortunately I was an hour away and had to be loaded on a flatbed. However the mechanic was able to go underneath and reconnect the cable and make it work until the new cable came in.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:55 PM

i would also go ahead and buy a new safety neutral switch and trow it down there ...

Old 08-23-2018, 08:10 PM

As I suspected... I crawled underneath and the trans cable was completely off. The original bushing had basically disintegrated

Old 08-23-2018, 08:18 PM

I fixed it using the bushing fix .com replacement which is guaranteed to last forever. The hummer shifts perfectly now. I would HIGHLY recommend anyone who hasn't had this happen to them yet, to preemptively replace this bushing. You WILL end up stranded somewhere eventually! It's only a matter of time. I had a miracle and had it finally happen to me when I was backing up at home. I had planned on doing this fix awhile ago but kept putting it off. The bushing is so cheap and easy to replace it's a good preventative measure to not be left stranded somewhere or pay for a tow truck. This ranks up there with getting an external trans cooler to not risk the leaking radiator disaster.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:39 AM

Excellent poast, any chance you could provide a link and/or Part Number for the fix.com bush part. Will def take your advice!!

Old 08-24-2018, 09:10 AM

https://www.bushingfix.com/hummer-h2...ng-repair-kit/

I have used these as well on my older GMC pickup. Exact same sort of setup.... Worst case is if it breaks you just crawl up under the vehicle and secure it with a couple of zip ties temporarily. Everyone keeps some zip ties, a roll of duct tape, and a couple of basic hand tools in their rides right?? Right???

Old 08-24-2018, 06:30 PM

I ordered mine from eBay, same seller as the website, username is bushingfix. I made an offer of $15 and they accepted so was $5 cheaper than the site. Item number is 172796094922. They have a YouTube video of the install as well: https://youtu.be/fZ9RvMYsGp4
I went with the bushing fix .com one over whatever was at auto zone becuz it says it's designed to out last the car and has a lifetime guarantee. I had to wait 4 extra days to fix my truck but hopefully it was worth it for the better part.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:00 PM

just drive to your local advance autopart and look for the nylon nut kit part number 961-355 for 3.79$ one of the nuts fits in the metal link and snaps like factory fit on the plastic side of the cable ...... you all can thank me later . by the way this was JSBIHN idea and it works PERFECTTT . follow this link to a similar post ...
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-repair-28527/

Quick Reply: 2004 H2 Shifter Stuck in Park, Dash Says Reverse