Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2003 H2 fuel smell from drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 07:13 PM
Default 2003 H2 fuel smell from drivers side

After I shut the Hummer off I get a fuel smell from around the middle of the vehicle on the drivers side. No codes, no visible leaks. I thought it was the Evap vent solenoid in the vicinity of the smell so I replaced it with new. Still a gas smell. Anyone have any clue what this could be coming from?

Old 01-05-2023, 07:17 PM

most probable is the top of the fuel pump is rotten if that is the case inspect your brake lines for rot as well. or if you already replaced the brake lines then check the fuel pump. both tend to go about the same time.
also being an 03 check the fuel filter its located around the crossmember around the B pillar drivers side.

Last edited by bronxteck; 01-05-2023 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
most probable is the top of the fuel pump is rotten if that is the case inspect your brake lines for rot as well. or if you already replaced the brake lines then check the fuel pump. both tend to go about the same time.
I have put my arm in there to feel the top of my pump. It feels solid. No rust on this H2 that I can see. I got it from the original owner in Georgia. It has been in Georgia its whole life. I’m going to take the inner wheel liner off to put eyes on the top of the tank.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:26 PM

does it fuel fine at the gas station or does it click off the gas pump as you fill?
if it stops as you fill the vent solenoid or its filter can be clogged

Old 01-05-2023, 07:27 PM

does it fuel fine at the gas station or does it click off the gas pump as you fill?
if it stops as you fill the vent solenoid or its filter can be clogged
This just started after the last fill up and I had no problems filling it up at that time.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:30 PM

maybe check the fuel filter for leaks. i described the location in a post above you had already posted when i had added the info

Old 01-05-2023, 07:32 PM

maybe check the fuel filter for leaks. i described the location in a post above you had already posted when i had added the info
I put eyes on the fuel filter today and didn’t notice any leaks. It definitely seems like a vapor leak to me as it won’t happen until the engine is turned off and sits for a moment. Also, thank you for your prompt replies. I really appreciate it!!

Old 01-05-2023, 07:39 PM

did you top off ? maybe some fuel got sucked into the charcoal canister. or the fuel neck or gas cap might need tightening

Old 01-05-2023, 07:41 PM

did you top off ? maybe some fuel got sucked into the charcoal canister. or the fuel neck or gas cap might need tightening
I thought it may have been the cap so I replaced it with a new GM one. No change. I filled it up about to half a tank. Maybe a bit more. Is there anything else that might be venting fuel vapors from the left side of the vehicle?

Old 01-05-2023, 08:01 PM

Inspect the filler neck.

Quick Reply: 2003 H2 fuel smell from drivers side