Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2003 H2 electrical, passkey issues after replacing repaired dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 08:32 PM
Default 2003 H2 electrical, passkey issues after replacing repaired dash

We just replaced the repaired instrument cluster and the H2 won’t start or even crank. It ran without the cluster. Thinking it could be a passkey issue, but my son is having problems diagnosing it at his place. He tried disconnecting the battery to possibly reset the passkey. The windows then stopped working. He again disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. After that, the key will not turn to the lock position and he can’t remove it. Any ideas would be appreciated, as I’m nearly 1000 miles from his location. He has no service manual, just a owners manual.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:54 AM

Here is the anit-theft wiring, I never replaced my instrument cluster I know they ask for VIN number and mileage but don't know if the vehicle needs to be programmed to see the new unit. Maybe someone wiser can help.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Anti Theft Systems.pdf (423.6 KB, 203 views)
Data Link Connector.pdf (647.4 KB, 399 views)
Instrument Panel.pdf (2.96 MB, 68 views)
Old 09-09-2020, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Booch
Here is the anit-theft wiring, I never replaced my instrument cluster I know they ask for VIN number and mileage but don't know if the vehicle needs to be programmed to see the new unit. Maybe someone wiser can help.
The place that rebuilt this cluster didn’t ask for the VIN. When my son plugged it in, the correct mileage appeared, but everything went south from there.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kawman
We just replaced the repaired instrument cluster and the H2 won’t start or even crank. It ran without the cluster. Thinking it could be a passkey issue, but my son is having problems diagnosing it at his place. He tried disconnecting the battery to possibly reset the passkey. The windows then stopped working. He again disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. After that, the key will not turn to the lock position and he can’t remove it. Any ideas would be appreciated, as I’m nearly 1000 miles from his location. He has no service manual, just a owners manual.
Curious if you tried to put the old one back in and tested before the key got stuck?

Old 09-09-2020, 08:16 AM

I'd check that the battery cables are tight and then maybe check that grounds are good followed by the ignition switch itself. Replacing the cluster should not cause or have anything to do with any of that. The cluster just receives inputs from everything.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Booch
Curious if you tried to put the old one back in and tested before the key got stuck?
Yes, he put the original cluster, which had been rebuilt, back in. The lights lit up and the odometer showed the same mileage that was on it before the rebuild. The key would turn, but the engine didn’t crank. He said he heard some popping from under the dash, which I assume was a relay.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:52 AM

Isnt BCM under that

Old 09-09-2020, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I'd check that the battery cables are tight and then maybe check that grounds are good followed by the ignition switch itself. Replacing the cluster should not cause or have anything to do with any of that. The cluster just receives inputs from everything.
I’m going to have him check the connections today. I know they had issues with the connection under the shifter, as far as getting the ignition switch in the lock position. I wasn’t aware that any programming was needed after replacing a cluster, so guess I’ll look into that, also.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:46 AM

There is no programming needed after cluster repair. Mileage is only programmed if the cluster is a replacement and that is done on a bench, not in the vehicle (even a new one from GM). The security is not tied to the cluster in any way either. That being said if you want to try a security re-learn the manual method (official GM alternate manual method) is below. One thing GM does note is that the ignition must be OFF when unplugging, or plugging the connector in on the cluster. Not sure what could happen as I have plugged them in before with the key on with no issues but still best to have the key off. The BCM is by the firewall on an H2, you can see it behind the headlight switch if you remove that small left dash panel.

Security relearn is only needed if replacing the BCM, PCM, or passlock sensor....

Conditions

Use this procedure after replacing:
• Passlock™ Sensor • BCM • PCM There are two available methods to perform the programming procedure:
• A 10 minutes procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal. • A 30 minutes procedure which does not require the use of any tools.

10 Minute Learn Procedure

Tools Required

Tech 2 • Techline terminal with current Service Programming System (SPS) software
  1. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
  2. Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
  3. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
  4. On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
  5. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
  6. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  7. Select "VTD Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
  8. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  9. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  10. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  11. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the password.
  12. With the Tech 2 scan tool, clear any DTCs.

30 Minute Learn Procedure

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
There is no programming needed after cluster repair. Mileage is only programmed if the cluster is a replacement and that is done on a bench, not in the vehicle (even a new one from GM). The security is not tied to the cluster in any way either. That being said if you want to try a security re-learn the manual method (official GM alternate manual method) is below. One thing GM does note is that the ignition must be OFF when unplugging, or plugging the connector in on the cluster. Not sure what could happen as I have plugged them in before with the key on with no issues but still best to have the key off. The BCM is by the firewall on an H2, you can see it behind the headlight switch if you remove that small left dash panel.

Security relearn is only needed if replacing the BCM, PCM, or passlock sensor....

Conditions

Use this procedure after replacing:
• Passlock™ Sensor • BCM • PCM There are two available methods to perform the programming procedure:
• A 10 minutes procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal. • A 30 minutes procedure which does not require the use of any tools.

10 Minute Learn Procedure

Tools Required

Tech 2 • Techline terminal with current Service Programming System (SPS) software
  1. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
  2. Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
  3. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
  4. On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
  5. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
  6. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  7. Select "VTD Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
  8. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  9. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  10. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  11. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the password.
  12. With the Tech 2 scan tool, clear any DTCs.

30 Minute Learn Procedure

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
Thanks. This will save a lot of searching on google. Hopefully it’s just a low battery or connection that is causing the stuck key issue, since he can’t turn the ignition off to do the reprogramming of the Passcode without turning the switch to the off position.

Quick Reply: 2003 H2 electrical, passkey issues after replacing repaired dash