PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 H2 bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 05:17 AM
Default 2003 H2 bad fuel pump?

So my H2 died while idling in a parking lot. It wasn't sputtering, it was like it ran out of gas. I added gas but it still wouldn't start. My battery has been draining because the radio won't shut off when I turn the truck off. So I'm having to unhook the battery every night. Not sure if these two are related. Can't afford to replace wrong parts!! Please help!!!!

Old 12-10-2018, 11:53 PM

Hi there. You can put a gauge on the fuel rail and bypass the fuel pump relay to “turn on the pump manually.” I believe you’re supposed to have 50 something psi at the rail. If you look in the engine compartment fuse box and find the fuel pump relay, there is an extra hole to the side. Run a 12 volt current and the fuel pump should run, if it doesn’t you may have found your problem. Pull the inner fender well on the drivers side rear to see the fuel pump plug and test that power is to the pump. If you have power at the pump and no pressure then you have a bad pump for sure. If pump does work you might want to test the relay to see if that might be your problem, but most likely the fuel pump. I replaced one at 160,000 and just did a second one two weeks ago at 220,000. It doesn’t matter where your pump is from, I got my first replacement at the dealer, the last time it went out I was pulling my hair out because I was testing everything but the pump. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:56 AM

Thank you so much for the detailed information!!! I really appreciate your help

Old 12-11-2018, 10:48 AM

No worries. Don’t forget to post back to finish the thread out. Please let us know how everything works out. Or if things don’t work out. Either way it’ll help others in the future. Thanks

Old 12-11-2018, 12:38 PM

It was the fuel pump. Husband and Friends replaced it. It's running good. Pretty big job though.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:06 PM

No fun when fuel pumps go

Old 12-12-2018, 09:39 AM

Nope - on my 1999 GMC truck the pump went out in my driveway. Its a stepside bed - I just took the bed bolts out on the drivers side, loosened the passenger side bolts, literally by myself just lifted the driver side of the bed up about 2 feet and propped it up with a couple of 2x4's. Helps that the bed is plastic and was a lot easier than dropping the tank which I had just happened to fill the day before. A full fuel tank makes dropping the tank a whole lot harder. lol

Old 07-18-2019, 09:40 PM
Default Hummer 2

Hello, on June 21st 2019 I purchased a 2003 H2. It had a very bad leak issue to begin with around the windshield. I think I have that corrected, not sure till it rains again. As I was driving home today it seemed to just kind of slowly died. I pulled to the side of the road. Sat there a few minutes thinking what could have happened. As I was on the phone trying to get road side assistance to help me they asked me...it won't start right? I said no it won't, let me try again, I turned the key and it started, reluctantly. I drove about another 10 miles or so and I could tel it was starting to die again, I tried to feather the gas to see if I could keep it running. While I was doing this it backfired more than once and died. Could this also be related to a bad fuel pump? I am very unfamiliar with the H2 but am engine savy. Battery was strong when it was turning over, no grinding, no hesatation. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:51 AM

Welcome....

Could be a number of things. A couple of more..... the 2003 does have an external fuel filter by the frame next to the fuel tank. A clogged fuel filter can cause fuel starvation issues. Clogged catalytic converters could be a culprit. A number of other things as well like the fuel pressure regulator (on the intake manifold). Might find more answers on one of the various GM truck or SUV forums as well since they are far more common and use the exact same engine and fuel system.