Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

08, Escalade vs Hummer exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 08:59 PM
Default 08, Escalade vs Hummer exhaust

As I understand it the 07/8 Escalade had 408hp because of the better free flowing exhaust and it really sounded good. Has anyone did a dual exhaust upgrade on the 08/09 they would recommend.

I am looking for that Escalade sound and increased hp. What I don’t want is loud, droaning or something you would hear on a teenagers car. It’s got to fit well and be something that will-last
Thanks Dan

​​​​

Old 04-13-2021, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

OR.............. it is because the 07 Escalade had a 6.2L and not the 6.0L that is in the 2007 H2. There is no exhaust known to mankind that will boost an otherwise stock 6.0L 325HP to 408HP. Exhaust itself is basically a sound/tone thing, do not expect more than 5-10HP improvement from an aftermarket exhaust alone.

The 2008 H2 had a 6.2L and is rated at 393HP stock.

Let us know what you come up with.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:43 PM
Wink

I am speaking of the 6.2 L92 that was used in the 07/08 Escalade and 08/09 H2 and not the 6.0 LQ4 for 06 or the LQ9 in the 07.

According to a number of forums the difference in HP between the Escalade and the H2 was because of the free flowing exhaust that was used in the Escalade. I personally have heard both and I can tell you there is a noticable difference in exhaust note
when comparing the 08/9 H2 vs the 07/08 Escalade. If there was also tuning differences I have yet to read about those.

I would imagine a good clean free flowing exhaust would do wonders for the H2 plus it would sound a great deal better. I am very interested in this because I have a line on another 08 H2 SUT I may purchase and this would be part of my upgrade check list.

We shall see, one thing I would not want is to loose any torque in the process.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:16 PM

I have finally got a good solution to this issue. I purchased an 08 H2 SUT and someone put a flowmaster on it. Ran and sounded like crap. I recently replaced it with an AP exhaust #2576 muffler and 28847 intermediate pipe. I was able to use the factory tail pipe.

It seems to run much better and has the low clean exhaust note of the 07 Escalade, its somewhat quiet but you know its there and that there is something good under the hood. Not the cab resonating note of the flowmaster. The muffler is an oval rather then the round tube of the original. Anyone looking to replace their original muffler because its worn or rusted out should consider this. I also looked at the Walker products but could not find anything other then RV exhausts and they were a bit to big. I will add a few clips of the installation later.

Last edited by H2-SUT; 06-12-2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:33 PM

I have been absolutely amazed how much difference the correct exhaust system makes on our vehicle. I have noticed better gas mileage, increased performance and a whole bunch less noise with the new system. I saw an 08 H2 today in a parking lot and was talking to the owner. Nice guy and proud of his Hummer as well. We compared the exhaust note of both his an mine and they were very close. Using my Iphone DB meter I measured both and found my AP setup was a few DB quieter but at the rear the new AP exhaust was a few DB higher and maybe a slightly lower exhaust Note. Nothing that would be notable unless you were really looking at it or comparing 2 side by side.

All in all I am very pleased with the results an have noticed a slight increase of fuel economy. I think one of the issues with the prior flowmaster installation is the person that had installed it had dropped from 3.5 to 3 inch to install to the flowmaster then back to 3.5 after the muffler.
I guess if your going to try to upgrade an exhaust system you should at least use a setup that flows as well as or better then the original. Either way the AP parts I mentioned above work well and will give you results at least equal to the original H2 exhaust if you need to replace rusted or rotted out parts.