Hummer H1 The original Hummer, which brought the Hummer look to the public eye during Desert Storm, with the addition of some features that make the H1 more of a street vehicle and less of a Army truck

H1 Hummer wheel aftermarket options

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:11 PM
Default H1 Hummer wheel aftermarket options

Purchased a 95 H1 earlier this year and working to get everything fixed up on it. It currently has completely wrong aftermarket wheels on it. I've done a lot of research into options but am still trying to determine what will work and what won't. I know that GT/Cepek and Hutchison have the options that meet the factory specs (16.5 x 8, 3400 lbs load rating, 7" backspacing, 130mm center bore) I'm not a fan of the Hutchinson look. I like the Cepek simulated beadlock look but trying not to spend $3000+ on wheels alone when I need tires as well and also have 30 other things that need to be done with it. I like the exposed CTIS lines with protector plates. I currently have a 2" body lift and planning to run 40x13.50r17 (or 18") tires. I don't plan to take it to any sort of crazy off-roading (maybe some getting dirty fun). I'd also like to try and keep the tires as much in the wheel wells as possible to help keep crap off the sides of the truck (this is a secondary goal though). It does have the 6.6L Duramax. Here's some options that I've come across through hours of research:

1: Method 305 NV - standard 3600lbs or HD 4500lbs - 17 x 8.5 with 4.75 Backspacing or 18 x 9 with 5.75 Backspacing - Center Bore of 131mm - available through hummercore with CTIS lines and valves drilled to line up correctly for $400 (HD version) or available on various other sites for $280 (HD version), but won't have any CTIS setup.

This appears to be by far the most common aftermarket wheel that I see on nicely finished out Hummers outside of the Cepek wheels. They're also sold by Hummercore which would imply to me that they shouldn't have issues on the H1. It seems to be better to have the 18 x 9" wheel as that puts the backspacing closer to factory than the 17 x 8.5" wheel, but I like the look of the 17s better and the 18s are $40 more each. Couple questions about that option: 1. Is the backspacing there going to cause issues under normal use? On the 9" rim with 5.75" backspacing, that puts it 1.75" off where it should be for weight distribution and 2.25" of wheel too far out from the hub, correct? 2. Is it worth the extra $120 per wheel to get them through hummercore and have the valve hole location correct and included CTIS lines or simply purchase them elsewhere for the $280? I already have CTIS lines but would need to alter their length for 17" wheels (currently set for 22" wheels). 3. Is the HD 4500lbs needed or would the 3600lbs be good? The regular wheels are $50 cheaper each (probably worth the extra $200 for the HD)

2: Trail Ready Simulated Beadloack HD17 - 17 x 8 with 6" backspacing - 3400lbs rating with 8x6.5 bolt - Center Bore of 131mm - Standard pricing starts at $489 ($569 all black powdercoated) but I've found other sources that comes down to about $440 all black. That may be a situation where you get a call a week later saying they don't have it anymore.

Spoke to this company earlier today, and they said they do a lot of wheels for H1 owners. Questions here are basically the same. 1. Does the valve location cause issues? 2. Is the load rating okay?

That's about all I've found. I'm open to other suggestions if people have any. I'd like to hear from people who have used these wheels and can say if they had issues or not. If nothing else, hope this info saves some others some time if they're trying to locate this information without spending as much time as I have. I'm also yet to find a website that actually allows you to search for wheels the way I'm needing to here. (lug pattern, load rating, backspacing, center bore) Need a site that allows you to put a range in each of those (other than lug) and see all the wheels available.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Which Hutchison look do you not like, there is more than one. The spokes and the slotted wheels. The slotted are two piece beadlock wheels that came on the 2002 and up trucks.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:32 PM

I've looked at a couple versions of the Hutchison wheels but may not have come across them all yet. I guess I kind of just like the newer look of some of the other wheel options where I felt the Hutchison wheels kind of have a more original look to them (not actually a bad thing for the H1). I really like the looks of the setup on the H1 here:

https://www.sourcemotors.com/vehicle...20968810677b13

But I'm not even sure that's the same Method wheel that I'm considering. Can't seem to find specific info on it, but it looks like it has a deeper look to it in some of the pictures.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:36 PM

I just bought a 95 H1 (only 6.5 NA) yesterday and glad you posted this question. I have the original 16.5 wheels and the tires are old Super Swampers. My CTIS has a small leak and I have to get new tires now. I’m deciding between the Merhod wheels at Hummercore, or just the much cheaper Method wheels. I will probably go through custom offsets.com if go the cheaper route. I’m out of money and can’t afford the high end wheels. Hope someone here has some insight other then spend an insane amount of money on wheels. Thanks

Old 12-20-2018, 02:41 PM

I have mine narrowed down to the Method NV and Method VEX. The NV comes with an optional HD version that's good for 4500lbs rather than 3600lbs. That's good for H1s. But I like the VEX better I think. I talked to Hummercore and they said that the NV through them had the valve hole drilled to point into the wheel to make the CTIS line up better. It also includes their CTIS system.

I'm currently trying to find a good CTIS setup for aftermarket wheels that have the valve at the normal factory position. It will work, but will likely need a 45 degree adapter for it. I also want to use beaded stainless lines. I saw that bluehummer.com sells a setup that has the first half of it that connects to the hub for $50 each. Just need the braided line and 45 adapter. Need to call them and see what they recommend

Old 12-20-2018, 03:22 PM

I decided to go with the Method NV heavy duty 18x9+18 with Nitto Ridge Grapplers 37x12.50R18LT (E rated). I’m waiting on quotes from some local shops. I will probably go with cutomoffsets.com. I don’t have to pay tax and it includes mount and balance. The set came out to be about $2700. I really want the ones from Hummercore, but I live in CA. I would have to pay tax, shipping, And then have to buy the tires somewhere else. I’m broke right now so I’m going to wait on the CTIS for down the road. Have you seen better prices anywhere else?

Old 12-22-2018, 06:31 PM

I think I've decided on discount tire for my setup. 17 x 8.5 NV HD wheels are $219 each and I think I'm going with 40x13.50r17 Milestar Patagonia tires for $330 each. Comes out to $2440 with tax (free mounting and balancing).

I still want to look into doing the Method 311 VEX wheels but they don't have an HD option and are 3600lbs rated. If that will work, thats what I'll probably do.

You're right to go with the 18 × 9 option (read my first post about backspacing). Only reason I'm not doing that is they apparently don't make any 40" tire for 18's anymore......not sure why.

I'm still hoping someone will chime on about using CTIS with aftermarket wheels and the easiest way to do it. Basically, all I want is the $50 quick release kit hooked up to a braided stainless line that runs to a 45 degree adapter to the tire valve. This should be something you can make yourself for about $40 per wheel.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:52 PM

What wheels do you have i might be interested in those.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Default H1 wheels

I have the original 16.5 inch stock wheels it came with in 1995.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:02 PM

I posted to the wrong thread. Maybe i will get to the right one. You stated you had some aftermarket wheels ,i may be interested in those. If so i would like size and photos. Thanks

Quick Reply: H1 Hummer wheel aftermarket options