PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of the "Speed Sensor"

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 01:59 AM
Default Beware of the "Speed Sensor"

I was out in the middle of absolutely nowhere when I lost all transmission power in my H1. Needless to say I was pretty upset faced with a 20 mile walk to the nearest major highway. My engine was running fine but it was as if my transmission couldn’t find a gear. I let it set for about 15 minutes and was then able to crawl at about 5mph through the terrain until I found civilization again (and cell coverage). It took about 10 hours of calling and finagling with a towing company to arrange for a flatbed to pick me and my girl up and drive us about 60 more miles to a certified Hummer dealership for repairs. As it turned out my “speed sensor” went bad resulting in my transmission not working properly (explanation from the H1 dealership).

My question is if this ever happens again is there a workaround (wiring or otherwise) that I can do as a temporary fix to get me out of this type of situation if I am unfortunate enough to have it happen to me again?

I’m not sure it was related but I ended up having to put a brand new transmission in my H1 about two months later. That little sensor ended up costing me the price of a nice new motorcycle. Either way, I still love my H1 would not trade it for any other vehicle unless of course it’s for a 2006.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:33 AM
Default RE: Beware of the "Speed Sensor"

More often than not, the (Output) Speed Sensor simply needs to have an accumulation of crud (metallic particles) cleaned off the sensor tip and reinstalled. This can be done easily from under the HUMMER with a socket & ratchet and a rag to wipe the crud off the OSS. Before you go off into the wilds next time, you may just want to do that before leaving the comforts of your home base! For more specific details go to: http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/...peedSensor.htm

Good Luck!