Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Alternator R&R from the top. Lots of pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Just replaced my battery last week with an Odyssey and had a dead wasp in the exact spot the dead bee was in the pic. Maybe I'll disconnect that vent tube from the front

Old 04-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Banned

u could stuff some wire screen in there,bug stop

Old 04-21-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by JCA1981
Just replaced my battery last week with an Odyssey and had a dead wasp in the exact spot the dead bee was in the pic. Maybe I'll disconnect that vent tube from the front
I tried removing the tube, but was left with a big hole behind my grill that I wasn't real comfortable with in case of heavy rain, snow, or road debri. I have an optima so I just did away with the top of the box, disconnected the tube, zip tied it in half and tucked it out of the way.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Ok guys here we go.

New alt.
Name:  IMG_6366.jpg
Views: 4392
Size:  96.9 KB

Once you get the alt in and start to put everything back together, there is one thing you need to do.

When you are putting the fuse box back together you MUST put the two wiring harnesses on the fuse box. They take some force(alot) to get them to clip in. If you try to put them in the base and then put the fuse box on, it wont snap into place.

These must snap in to the top first(where all the fuses are).
Name:  IMG_6372.jpg
Views: 4595
Size:  151.5 KB

This is what it will look like if you dont put them in first. Notice the gap on the left side.
Name:  IMG_6375.jpg
Views: 4374
Size:  124.3 KB
Name:  IMG_6375.jpg
Views: 4374
Size:  124.3 KB

Once they are on the box will snap into the base.
Name:  IMG_6376.jpg
Views: 6064
Size:  153.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6374.jpg
Views: 4292
Size:  59.7 KB
Name:  IMG_6373.jpg
Views: 4403
Size:  96.6 KB
Once you do that hook the batt back up, fuel line back together, replace the belt, and put the A/C line bracket back on and go for a drive.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6375.jpg (124.3 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by 0331Marine; 04-22-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 PM

Is that the same exact alt you took out and just got as replacement? Mine is a 145A stock.....

I guess I need more power than most people, so I'm picky about my alternators.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
Is that the same exact alt you took out and just got as replacement? Mine is a 145A stock.....

Its the same alternator. The parts store ordered the wrong one and it was going to be another week before the right one came in, so they got me one from the Hummer dealership.

Sad part about it is its time to sale the Hummer....

Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

This was a great alternative DIY install. Especially with the in depth descriptions, pics, and commentary. Step 2 can prob. be referred to on more matters than we'd like to admit concerning some aspects of our truck.
Thanks for all the time and attention you put into this 0331Marine

I tried removing the tube, but was left with a big hole behind my grill that I wasn't real comfortable with in case of heavy rain, snow, or road debri. I have an optima so I just did away with the top of the box, disconnected the tube, zip tied it in half and tucked it out of the way.
Well in that case I prolly won't remove the tube. Between being to busy w/ work and some rain over here I haven't even popped the hood yet to take a look but I'm not worried about it. I'll prob. end up just stuffing an old prefilter I have in that tube. The real challenge will be first finding that filter in my garage. The insects & dirt can have free reign until then.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Alphas are 145A and are not interchangeable with the I5s.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Alphas are 145A and are not interchangeable with the I5s.
I figured that may have been the case after thinking about it! It seemed like a really solid alternator, I beat on it for months before rebuilding it to 240A and it took it like a champ with no drop in idle voltage or output.

All said and done the fuses on all my amplifiers add up to 220A, and it had to keep up with two massive Kinetik batteries in the back, and a yellow top under the hood. Then on top of that all the rest of the factory equipment!

I expected to smoke that alternator pretty fast but it was still going strong as the day I got the truck by the time I got around to rebuilding it.

I have a company here in Ohio that is going to work on a dual alternator mount bracket, so I'll probably get another factory alt and have that run the truck, and use the second high output to feed the stereo system.

My biggest concern at this point is that I hope dual alternators won't get in the way of the Artec dual optima mount.....and I really have no way to tell unless I buy the mount so I'm little worried about taking the risk at this point. Worse comes to worse I'd rather have two yellow tops under the hood than two alts, I can always build the alternator up to 300A if needed.....

I really wish I had a way of telling but without having both parts in hand I'm kind of in a catch 22 because I'm sure no one else is running the setup that I am planning on, or at least anyone that I could get in touch with.

The bracket and alt is pretty pricey so I don't want to take the plunge unless I'm sure. Even with a friends machine shop doing the bracket for me, its still not cheap.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the pics and the write up 0331.

Quick Reply: H3 Alternator R&R from the top. Lots of pictures.