PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AVOID AT ALL COSTS: LOAD BOSS/ Alterstart alternators on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Default AVOID AT ALL COSTS: LOAD BOSS/ Alterstart alternators on eBay

Here's my scenario:

Ive been having some issues with the facotry terminals for my 06 Hummer H3, power has been intermediate for a few weeks and sometimes the 3 starts other times I pop the hood and wiggle the cables and than I get power, so I cleaned the terminals on firday and it pratically made things worse, out of desperation I went and bought a new battery, Optima Red top. That ended up frying the alternator, my stupidity I switched the terminals + on - and vice versa.

So now my hunt begins for a newer alternator, parts stores were all a bust. But they "could special order it for me at $275-325.00" and Id have it by weds in most cases... I said uh no!

I looked on fleabay and contacted the Broken (offroadtech@gmail.com) On flebay I found the above mentioned guys, who were having a sale over the weekend on a Hi Output 200 Amp alternator.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

For 279.99 however when you look at the description there's a 5 to 7 day productio time before shipping yet it says more than 5 available. So I call their toll free number (on saturday) but there a monday through friday buisness. I figure oh well, I'll send them a message stating my intent and they'll see that I sent it to them when the sale is on, and than they can honor the sale when I figure out if its available so I can overnight it, right?

I know this is getting long and Im sorry but I want to make sure no one gives any buisness to these clowns.

So I call them this morning 8am their time, after I recieve and email sent by them to call them, I figure they're there and can answer my question right? So I call and talk to the salesmen, Im polite and curtious, I joke alittle and say please and thank you irregardless of his impersonal tone on the other end. Im in retail, have been for 10 years, a few guys on here can attest to my personality and demeanor.

On the phone they tell me that the sale has ended but it is in stock at 399.99! I ask them how much to overnight the tell me 92.00 I said I will gladly pay that if they honor the sale price... so about 380.00 out the door... they said that they could not authorize that and that I would have to talk to the owner, I said aok... when will he be in, they say in a few hours, but in the mean time to use ebay to make an offer at the price I suggrested, I go ok.

So I sign onto ebay and make three offers 260.00, 270.00, and 280.. ebay than locks me out from the auction for my 3 offers to be accepted or declined, they are almost immediately declined... I go ok... I'll send them another email and tell them to have the owner call me ASAP and give my cell phone, home phone, and address...

Nothing, so I call back three hours later. I talk to the exact same salesmen, whom I have to remind everything we talked about earlier, didn't remember who I was or what vehicle I have, or anything about the overnighting part... fine maybe he had along weekend and it was still early for him... whatever. He than tells me he hasn't talked to the owner yet. I ask him again when the owner will be in. So he replies oh I don't think he's gonna e here today... I ask him why he said that he would be earlier this morning, he said tht he didn't... um ok... I ask him if there's anyway he can call the owner and call me right back, he says no. But if I'd like I can use the buy it now and pay the regular price, and than he could see what he could do for me... I said you know what, I'll take my buiness elsewhere.

For the price of 2 used alternators with low mileage I would have given them my money so I wouldn't have to fab something up to run dual alternators in so tight of quarters.

So even though this economy is rough these guys don't want my buisness, and that of all the other H3 owners out there that have lots of accessories on their vehicles, from winches to flood lights... hmmm I can think of a dozen guys on this forum alone that could or would want to upgrade their stock alternators.

These guys are a joke in my minds eye. Don't use them for anything. Spend you money where it counts and give it to someone that appreciates your buisness.

Thanks for reading all this guys. Hummer On!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:48 PM

did you try summit racing?

Old 11-02-2009, 02:10 PM

You are lucky they jerked you around and you didn't give them any money. Imagine if you bought it and had a warranty issue. I would only replace my alternator with a Delco reman.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:40 PM

Yeah I tried alot of places, no one makes anything reasonable for the H3

Indeed I would have been rip **** if I had been trying to deal with them down the line...

Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
You are lucky they jerked you around and you didn't give them any money. Imagine if you bought it and had a warranty issue. I would only replace my alternator with a Delco reman.
As long as you get a Delco Reman unit, you'll be happy. New ones are cost prohibitive and I've not had great success with off-brand rebuilds.

Last edited by atashashane; 05-29-2010 at 04:40 AM.