PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Hummer H2 clicking noise rear air ride suspension/compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Default 2006 Hummer H2 clicking noise rear air ride suspension/compressor

I have a 2006 H2 SUT that is having issues with rear suspension. I had problems with air bags deflating sometimes after it sitting overnight and as well as the compressor making a clicking noise very often. If i press the rear bumper down or get into the vehicle it will make this horrible clicking sound. So i replaced the bags because the dealer said they were leaking. Now i dont have the problem with them deflating but the clicking noise is still there. They told me it was normal because of the ride height adjustments. I bought the truck 2 years ago and didnt have the problem at all so i no its not normal. I'm thinking the bags had leaks in them for a while and the compressor was probably doing extra work to inflate them. I really dont want to replace the whole compressor if maybe its something with a sensor or something minor. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks

Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 PM

Mine has clicked alot since we've owned it (two years). I still don't understand how it all works, but my bags have never leaked as far as I can tell.
Right after I start it, it will click and make it's adjustments, and if I'm standing outside of it, it clicks randomly, sometimes what seems like a lot, sometimes not so much. Sometimes after it clicks and inflates the bags, you can hear the pressure relief cycle it down for a second.
Hard to say if yours is doing it more than normal, or if even mine is. I'd bet yours made some noise when you first bought it and didn't pay any attention, but since you've had the bags fixed, you may be more sensitive to it working.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:20 PM

I have a 2006 H2 SUT Orange Special Edition. I 126,000 and have never had the truck in for service with the exception replacing the rear air springs (bags) about a year ago which is normal for the airbags to dryout and crack after 6 years in Florida.

About a month ago my air pump/compressor assembly starting making a loud clicking noise when the system activated by the leveling sensors. A week ago I notice that the airbags were no longer inflating, and were slowly deflating. It took 3 days for the airbags to deflate to the point where the ride was seriously affected and the rear end sagged noticably.

After doing alot of research and discovering the cost to replace the compressor assembly with includes the dual pumps, air dryers, compressor tank, and other valves and hoses is $1500 for the part plus labor which I would estimate at $200-300. I have read about several spring coil alternatives with a total cost of $150-$1200 for the springs and $200-$300 for labor. Neither option sounded that great to me.

The Solution: I woke up in the middle of the night and I thought "I wonder if I can backflow air into the compressor tank using the auxillary air compressor outlet located in the trunk. I tricked the truck into activating the pumps which opened the valves to the air compressor tank. I needed to be sure the driver door was shut and repeatedly turn the truck on and off, the first 15 seconds after starting the truck would activate the pumps and compressor to try and fill the airbags. The airbags would not fill because the airtank was emptly due to the failed pumps, which were making noise but not filling the airtank which supplies the airbags. I then connected the auxillary air outlet to a high pressure air hose at my local gas station. While the truck was activating the pump and compressor for the 15 seconds following startup, the valve was open to the airtank and I was able to backflow air through the auxillary air outlet in the trunk and fill the airtank in the compressor assembly. Once the airtank was full at about 100lbs, the truck was able to use the airtank to then fill the airbags. I have no idea if this is safe or how long this will last but I suspect the air will remain in the airbags for a week or so and it only takes me a few minutes to fill the airtank, so I'll keep you all posted on how this workaround will last. I dont mind 2-3 minutes a week to save $1800!