PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft tops

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Default Soft tops

Just a quick question about the soft tops. Has anyone had troubles with leaks? How well do they seal? Its and icebox up here for 5-6 months of the year, and I am just wondering if the heater will keep up. Thanks, Guys.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Soft tops

Never had an open top. Sorry can't help you on this one.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:47 AM

I own a softtop and my softtop was a WRECK i believe it was original from 98. it had a hole that was repaired poorly and some tears at the front of the top where it attaches to the windshield frame. The only place it leaked was the poor repair job other than that it held pretty good and I did go through a Canadian winter with it and if you got the insulated top(98 or newer) then the heater should do fine. I now have a Calgold slantback hardtop with custom insulation for the winter(i like the looks and idea of having the truck bed as part of the inside for storage etc. Will be getting a bikini top for the summer though.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Only complaint I have heard on the soft tops is that going through low overhanging branches you can tear holes in them. I have had other convertible vehicles that I didn't think were as insulated or quiet as the H1 soft top.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:22 AM

Yeah, the H1 softtop is very insulated(98+) reduced the noise pretty good and keeps weather out very well... but sucks when you have to take it off and put it back on... thing weighs alot although I have done it many times by myself it is alot easier with 2.
Also I personally never ripped my top due to overhanging branches and I have it alot of them but hey it could happen. but honestly the material on the OEM insulated softtop is very strong will take alot to tear....

Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 PM

On my 97.5 I have a soft top installed from 02 I believe. If I was informed correctly they were better insulated and are a little more sound proof. I haven't had any problems as far as leaks that I can think of in my short time of owning it, I did however have some water drip in on the passenger side.

Drew

Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

I occassionaly get some water drip around the doors on my 97 wagon. Mine was a door weather stripping issue. I have not heard complaints about the soft tops leaking even though almost every convertible I ever owned leaked at some point.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:41 AM

i have a 02 soft top and i have never had a weather problem of any kind. no leaks or anything but it is a pain 2 take it on and off

Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 AM

i had a problem with a leak with mine, but thats just cuz i took it off and put it back on and messed up on a part, since ive takein it off and done it the right way ive never had a problem with it

Old 04-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

I have driven a number of open tops and the later model insulated tops are very quiet when you consider how big the top is. All convertibles leak at some point but water inside a Hummer isn't the issue it is in most cars.

Quick Reply: Soft tops