PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Default Won't Start

First off Merry Christmas! I got in my 03 H2 yesterday and went to start it, it had been really cold the night before and it didn't do anything. Had all power to everything though but no clicking sound that you would norm get when the bat is dead. tried to jump off, still nothing, so I went and bought a new 900 CCA battery(the original was still in so I figured it needed a new one anyways) Nothing! I called Hummer of Charlotte(christmas eve) and no one there but a service mgr, he said it sounds as if it may be the ignotion switch???

Being I have a 92 Camaro and 92 Honda that has never stranded me anywhere I'm really upset, esp christmas eve and now christmas day without my truck! Has anyone had similar prob, Hummer said they stock a good many switches as they go out alot if that is even what it is? Ofcourse I don't have a scanner so if you know anything please post, sorry but I searched for similar thread and didn't find anything? Norm

Old 12-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Default RE: Won't Start

Hello,
I have a 03 h2 as well, mine did the same thing to me once i had power to everything bbut it wouldnt click or try to start. ther are fuses/ relays for the starter but mine was ok. i figured the starter was bad. When i unbolted it i tried to move the starter gear but it wouldnt move. i found out somehow it was stuck i believe from ice/ moisturebecause after i got itloose i installed it and it has been working good since. you can save time and have someone put a test light on the switch side of the starter solenoid and when you turn the key you should get power to the starter to light it up. If that doesnt work let me know there are another thing you can try neutral safety switch/ etc.

Starter Solenoid Does Not Click

Did you preform the Engine Electrical Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Electrical

Turn the ignition switch to the START position.
Does the engine crank?

Go to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

Go to Step3

Turn the ignition switch to the START position.
Does the starter motor relay click?

Go to Step11

Go to Step4

Is the vehicle equipped with a manual transmission?

Go to Step5

Go to Step7

[ol]Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
With a scan tool, observe the Clutch Start Switch Signal parameter in the PCM data list while depressing the clutch pedal. [/ol]
Does the scan tool display Released/Applied?

Go to Step7

Go to Step6

[ol]Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the PCM harness connector.
Connect a test lamp between the Clutch Start Switch Signal of the PCM harness and a good ground.
Turn the ignition to the START position while depressing the clutch pedal. [/ol]
Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step7

Go to Step8

Disconnect the PCM harness connector.
Connect a test lamp between the crank voltage circuit (starter enable relay control) of the PCM harness and a good ground.
Turn the ignition to the START position. [/ol]

Go to Step19

Go to Step8

[ol]Remove the starter motor relay.
Connect a test light from the supply voltage circuit of the starter motor relay coil circuit to ground.
With the transmission in park, or clutch pedal depressed, turn the ignition switch to the START position. [/ol]
Does the test light illuminate?

Go to Step9

Go to Step10

[ol]Connect a test light from the supply voltage circuit of the starter motor relay coil circuit to the control circuit of the starter motor relay coil circuit.
With the transmission in park, or clutch pedal depressed, turn the ignition switch to the START position. [/ol]
Does the test light illuminate?

Go to Step17

Go to Step14

Disconnect the Park Neutral Position (PNP) switch. Refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement in Automatic Transmissions - 4L60-E/4L65-E.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Connect a 10amp fused jumper between the starter motor relay coil control circuits of the PNP switch or clutch pedal position switch.

Go to Step18

Go to Step15

Disconnect the starter motor relay.
Connect a test lamp between the battery positive voltage circuit of the starter motor relay switch circuit and a good ground. [/ol]

Go to Step12

Go to Step23

Connect a 30 amp fused jumper between the battery positive voltage circuit of the starter motor relay switch circuit and the supply voltage circuit of the starter solenoid.
Does the engine crank?

Go to Step17

Go to Step13

Does the fuse in the jumper open?

Go to Step24

Go to Step16

Test the control circuit of the starter motor relay for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step29

Go to Step25

Test the supply voltage circuit of the starter motor relay coil circuit for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step29

Go to Step21

Test the supply voltage circuit of the starter solenoid for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step29

Go to Step22

Inspect for poor connections at the starter motor relay. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step29

Go to Step25

18[*]If equipped with an Automatic Transmission, inspect for poor connection at the PNP switch harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems. If OK, perform the Park/Neutral Position Switch Adjustment 4L60-E for Automatic Transmission.[*]If equipped with a Manual Transmission, inspect for poor connection at the clutch pedal position switch harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
[ul][/ul]

Go to Step29

Go to Step26

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the PCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step29

Go to Step20

Important
The replacement PCM must be programmed.

Replace the PCM/ECM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement in Engine Controls 4.8L, 5.L3, and 6.0L.
Is action complete?

Go to Step29

Inspect for poor connections at the ignition switch harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step29

Go to Step27

Inspect for poor connections at the starter solenoid. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step29

Go to Step28

Repair the open or high resistance in the battery positive voltage circuit of the Starter Motor relay switch circuit. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step29

Repair the short to ground in the supply voltage circuit of the starter solenoid. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step29

Replace the Starter Relay. Refer to Relay Replacement in Wiring Systems.
Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step29

Replace the PNP switch. Refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement in Automatic Transmission 4L60-E/4L65-E.

Go to Step29

Replace the Ignition Switch. Refer to Ignition Switch Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.

Go to Step29

Replace the starter. Refer to Starter Motor Replacement .

Go to Step29

Operate the system for which the symptom occurred.
Did you correct the condition?