PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tire would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Default Which tire would you choose?

I have a question for all of you with Mud Terrains (MT for short)

I have my choice of Nitto Mud Grapplers or a Toyo Open Country MT

The truck will see more street time then off road time, and my question is:
Which would you buy in regards to better performance and long tread life?
(remember the key is they will be primarily street driven)

Thanks

Old 01-31-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jsbihn
I have a question for all of you with Mud Terrains (MT for short)

I have my choice of Nitto Mud Grapplers or a Toyo Open Country MT

The truck will see more street time then off road time, and my question is:
Which would you buy in regards to better performance and long tread life?
(remember the key is they will be primarily street driven)

Thanks
I had to make this exact same decision in the spring.

I was dead set on Nitto mud grapplers. But my h2 is 98% street driven. I have a CJ with super swampers and it looks bad *** but on the street handles like sh$t.
Which is okay for something that is all toy and isn't driven for more than an hour at a time.

The deuce is hands down the most comfortable nicest highway driver I have owned and look forward to getting to drive her for 3 or 4 hrs at a time. I didn't want to compromise that but still wanted a tire that performed well on the street, low noise, good wear and could still get me to my fishing hole or light wheeling.

The dealer kept pushing the Toyo open country at2 extreme. I was getting pissed because I kept telling him I wanted the Nitto m/t. I wasn't impressed buy the pictures. Then he got one in and called me. I was sold. Really nice tire. Aggressive tread for an A/t even has sidewall lugs. I did end up compromising but the tire looks great, handles and wears well with little noise. Very happy with my decision.

I'm pretty sure Toyo owns Nitto.

It's a hard decision. I had never spent this kind of money on tires before. In Canada tires are very expensive compared to U.S prices. It took me months to make up my mind. But I honestly feel that this tire was the best happy medium for a top shelf tire that was primarily street driven.

I know this isn't exactly what you were asking. But I feel I was in the same boat. Good luck in your decision.

Attached Thumbnails Which tire would you choose?-image.jpg  

Last edited by madmayo; 01-31-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:35 AM

Mayo,
Thanks for the info. Yeah not exactly what I needed because they dont make it in my size application, BUT it doesnt make me now think more about the Toyo. I was told by a tire shop that I should expect short wear life on my Nittos, which I have Nittos on my M3 and not even with burnouts and barely a high speed run.... at 5000 miles they were gone.
Thats why I asked.
Thanks
Good write up

Old 02-01-2015, 03:44 PM

I've run the Toyo AT2 Extreme (not on an H2) & I'm really disappointed with it.

The ride quality was terrible. You feel ever bump in the road vs other tires. Traction in wet conditions is really bad. I broke free more often than not simply accelerating, but not flooring the accelerator.

The weight is another issue. The extremes are very, very heavy. I ran the 18" and somehow, they weigh more than the 17s. No clue how that works out. The 17" is 70 lbs. Amazon claims the Nitto is 81 lb (no idea what the truth is). That's a bummer. You'll have poor acceleration going heavier.

I've had the toyos too long to return them, but I regret the purchase. From a safety point of view, I wouldn't touch the AT2. It's just a poor performer. Even offroad, it was lackluster vs the very old TA KO2.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:14 AM

I'm running the A/T 2 Extremes and I find them to be a great tire. I went from running the stock 17" wheels with the BFG A/T's to the 20" Toyo's and while the ride is just a tad bit stiffer it's nothing I would consider to be drastic or harsh. The rain performance is great, not once have I hydroplaned or had what I would consider poor traction. We got nailed with well over a foot of snow here yesterday and it did great in the snow.