PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ideas: H2 still vibrates constantly.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Default Need ideas: H2 still vibrates constantly.

I mentioned this before on here, but I still can't get a solid diagnosis.
I've basically replaced anything in the suspension that would cause it. I also have had bad transmission & engine mounts replaced. Nothing vibration related changed. So I've ruled that out. I did have the bolt going through the differential cross member come loose, but even when torqued to the proper specs, the vibrations continue, albeit, a little less. Also, the spark plugs were replaced & nothing changed. Everything fires properly.

Symptoms: The entire vehicle vibrates.
The steering wheel & pedals vibrate significantly.
The whole vehicle vibrates as well, but since it's larger, it's not as extreme.
This occurs in drive, neutral, reverse, park, etc. Throwing it into neutral doesn't change the behavior at all.

All I can come up with is either a problem with the radiator fan (loose bolt or imbalanced fan), or possibly something exhaust related, if that's possible (broken bolt?). I guess the timing belt or bearings could be another issue. It's too late to work on these things now, but I can start to look into them tomorrow.

Have you guys run into this? Anything I could be overlooking?

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 01-27-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:09 AM

If it does it in park then it has to be drive-train and not suspension related. Could be a bad fan clutch, misfire, plugged exhaust, poor quality motor mounts or installation errors.
You don't have a timing belt. Is the check engine light on?

Old 01-28-2016, 01:15 PM

I had the LCA bushing/balljoint done by a mechanic I know. The way he was talking, they replaced the mounts, but after checking the bill, it wasn't done. Confusing conversation. Makes sense though, considering the same they worked on it.

My money is on the engine mounts, considering I did have a bad transmission mount & all of the worn suspension stuff, plus the guy said they did see the engine move quite a bit.

Oh, the 08/09 models have electric radiator fans, so no fan clutch. I don't hear any misfiring from the exhaust. I mean to say serpentine belt; timing was all I could think of (long day). The serpentine belt looks brand new, no cracks. No play in any of the pulleys, at least the ones that I could easily reach. I doubt there's a problem there. No check engine light.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:14 PM

If you think it's an engine mount. Open up the hood, put it in drive, and with your foot on the brake give it a little gas. Do the same for reverse. You'll see the engine move quite a bit if it's a mount. Check youtube for some good examples.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:29 PM

ill say replace both engine and body mounts if you can ... one of my friends 09 had a similar situation and after doing both the vibration went away but we never knew what it was since both engine and body mounts were replaced at the same time ....

Old 01-28-2016, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by mulepic
If you think it's an engine mount. Open up the hood, put it in drive, and with your foot on the brake give it a little gas. Do the same for reverse. You'll see the engine move quite a bit if it's a mount. Check youtube for some good examples.
Yeah, it does.

Originally Posted by hmer
ill say replace both engine and body mounts if you can ... one of my friends 09 had a similar situation and after doing both the vibration went away but we never knew what it was since both engine and body mounts were replaced at the same time ....
Yep. I ran out & bought 2 at autozone earlier. The price is actually cheaper than Rock Auto with shipping, strangely enough.

How many miles did he have on his 09?
Mine is about to roll over to 120k. I swear, every bushing & balljoint were fubar. I'll assume the mounts also took a beating.
What I really want to know is, why did he replace the body mounts? Those usually last beyond almost everything else. The exposed body mounts look good, so I have a feeling mine are fine. Obviously, I'll confirm that soon.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 PM

he is at 130sh just a bit more than yours . he is the 2nd owner the previews owner did alot of offroad and the shop recommed to get it done so my friend figure he had the money to replace the body mounts may aswell get it done ....

Last edited by hmer; 01-28-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:05 PM

I think I would check the tranny bolts to make sure nothing is loose and if not maybe lean towards the converter.

The engine mounts could cause it but I don't think to the extreme that you are indicating.

If you are positive that its not a mis fire or dead cylinder then there is not a whole lot else going on there.

Tim

Old 01-29-2016, 04:34 PM

I would bet on dead cylinder/misfire. Maybe bad coil, collapsed lifter, rounded lobe on cam, mis-adjusted rocker arm.

Did this just suddenly happen? Gradually happen? Gradually happen and then got no worse? What did you do just before it started?

Your engine should run smooth regardless of motor mounts - as in not vibrate. But while driving your motor could move around more with bad motor mounts.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:14 PM

Alright, I have the H2 back & took it for a 40 minute drive. Symptoms have changed, somewhat.

The replaced engine mounts fixed about 90% of the vehicle shaking when in park or neutral. It's there, but barely. Once the trans is engaged (drive or reverse) with a foot on break, you can feel the vibration again (in the shifter, pedals, steering wheel, & floor. Not so much in the door, arm rest or as much in the center console like before.). Reving the engine doesn't increase the vibration at all. It's almost the opposite at times, strangely.

Also, when the compressor kicks on for the HVAC, I feel more vibration while it's working. Also, the vibration goes through cycles, almost mimicking what the engine is doing, but indirectly. Also, the tires still vibrate, even when in park, but not to the same degree.

The motor mounts fixed a lot of clunking going on when accelerating, stopping, slowing down, etc. The total amount of vibration is lower too. Acceleration is better. The H2 doesn't lunge forward after taking the foot off the pedal awhile accelerating. I'm able to give it more gas & keep the rpms between 2500 - 3750 while giving it lots of gas. I was unstable to do this before. The vehicle felt too floatly. Now it feels planted, besides this stupid vibration.

Listening to the exhaust, it's not a misfire.
When the engine goes through different cycles while being in a stopped position (in drive, foot on break), the vehicle will shake in different ways. I'm wondering if a bolt on the exhaust or something is loose/broken...

It's shaken for a long while since I've had it, but because everything suspension-wise on it was shot, it was "background noise" so to speak. Take into account that all the bushings, ball joints & motor mounts were bad, I'm guessing anything that would secure whatever is moving has or broken off or worked it's way loose (probably a bolt).

I'll have to get under it sometime & take a look.

Quick Reply: Need ideas: H2 still vibrates constantly.