PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer H2 4WD Problem Need Help! !

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Default Hummer H2 4WD Problem Need Help! !

Hello forum members,

Well im at a lost with my 2003 H2 and cannot figure out why my 4WD is not operating properly. First off, there are no lights lit up on the dash to indicate which 4Wheel mode the vehicle is in. When I attempt to press any button all they do is just flash and eventually stop as a "Service 4WD" light shows up on my gauge cluster.

I do not have a Tech II scan tool to find out exactly what was wrong so I figured it was the transfer case motor that finally crapped the bed (140,000 miles). I purchased a Dorman brand transfer case motor from my local Advanced Auto Parts store. Installation went smoothly, motor was on the right spot and motor sat flush on the t-case. I started the Hummer up and noticed it was in 4Wheel Hi. As I went to run through the modes (have not moved the vehicle or shifted through any gears), I started with neutral. I heard some clunking down below and the truck switched to 4Wheel Lo. After this happened I could not switch out of 4Wheel Lo no matter which button I pressed. I reinstalled the original motor in order to drive the truck.

This is the second new Dorman motor I purchased and the same problem occurred with the first motor I bought. (Thought maybe I had a defective one)

Any advice? Dont wanna go to the stealership or spend $350 on a dealer transfer case motor if the smame problem will occur!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:17 AM

First thing to check is to make sure your switch isnt bad the bottom one can be depressed just slightly and it will cause exactly what you are describing. Try moving switches with engine off key out and see if that solves it.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:46 AM

It seems more of the issues result from the buttons not the encoder motors. I think a new set of buttons will run you around $80 if I remember correctly.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:52 AM

Thank you for your responses. Where is the best place to purchase the buttons? Any way to confirm the buttons is the issue? I.e. move the plugs around in the back

Old 11-19-2014, 11:17 AM

I would save myself the questions and just bite the bullet when it comes to parts like that. I always buy those types of parts from the dealer. i know its a rip off but at least you know they work. Sounds like your button cluster is an issue as well. i would replace it. I did my tcase motor at around 80,000 miles.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Im going to borrow my buddies 4WD switches out of his 2004 H2 hopefully today. Ill keep you guys posted on the problem. Cant stand when forum posts are inconclusive

Old 11-20-2014, 05:53 PM

They're on Ebay for around $75. Calling a forum inconclusive because searching is not used really isn't warranted IMO. Search GM Nally for the part number and go from there to buy new.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
They're on Ebay for around $75. Calling a forum inconclusive because searching is not used really isn't warranted IMO. Search GM Nally for the part number and go from there to buy new.
That was not a shot at this forum in particular. When searching for solutions in the past, I dislike when the thread ends prior to the solution. Anyways, my buddy isnt back in the state yet (drives tractor) Try again for tomorrow!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:10 PM

Still have not been able to try a set of switches. Will keep updating or will call the dealer and just order them

Old 11-27-2014, 04:50 AM

I had found an auction on ebay that I was going to post but the damn thing sold!

Quick Reply: Hummer H2 4WD Problem Need Help! !