PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATF in my coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Unhappy ATF in my coolant

I have and 09 h3alpha

So last night I was driving on the hwy up a hill and lost speed engine down shifted , I pulled over and it did not wanna move , I looked at my gauges and the temp was pegged to hot! I get out and going ATF under the right side. I thought I blew a trans line, I removed the skid plates and looked fine, but my coolant had ATF mixed in , ok I have just replaced the radiator for a top tank leak a couple months earlier , I checked engine oil -it's good , I pulled the trans dipstick , fluid looks good , so I let it cool for about 40 min , start the the engine and check the ATF, it was extremely low , I added 3 quarts of fluid , and attempted to drive it, and she did not want to move forward and would not budge in reverse , ok so I towed it home , I rechecked my fluids -all ok but still struggled forward and nothing to the rear, so my question is , what trans is in my h3? And that other vehicle can I get a trans out of?

Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 PM
rsc

Its a 4L65E. Basically a 4wd 4L60E. Same basic transmission GM uses in EVERYTHING.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:54 PM

So the transfer case is hummer only or will one work off a canyon or Colorado ?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:43 AM

read what he just said

Old 07-27-2014, 09:55 AM
rsc

The transmission in a 4wd Canyon, Colorado is the same. Heck, the Camaro and Corvette use 4L60E's for 2wd. If they were 4wd, that transmission would probably work too. I believe the transfer case is unique to the H3, but somebody else can back that info up. The trans and xfer boxes are separate units and can be replaced w/o touching the other, why the Q about xfer cases? Gonna upgrade?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:52 PM

if you're changing the trans, put in an external trans cooler that bypasses the one built in the Radiator. That way you would avoid any future contamination from failure of the trans cooler built in the OEM radiator.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 PM

T-case is HUMMER H3/H3T specific. 2 different models depending on the package you have.

Your trans is toast with the coolent in it. It will gum up all of the little ***** springs and stuff in the valve body as well as the clutches. It will need to be rebuilt or replaced which ever you choose.

Last edited by TAINTER; 08-08-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:02 PM

tainter,
the crazy thing is that my dipstick shows nice clean ATF, the contamination is in the coolant circuit , what looks like happened is the cooler ruptured inside the radiator , and contaminated the coolant , ��, so the fluid loss into the coolant caused my trans to run dry under load going up hill, it will barely move forward and don't even try reverse -it won't even move ,

rsc,
I tought they were hummer h3 only - the transfer case is fwd until it need the additional traction from the rear , oh and thanks for the info ��,
My h3 alpha has been great since I got it till the radiator tank leaking , and now this, I have about 160,000 miles and want to keep driving it for a while , I am defiantly going after the radiator for parts warranty and hope they cover the trans too!

Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 AM
rsc

The H3 is full time four wheel drive driven at a 60-40 split rear to front. In 4 Hi or 4 Lo Lock the transfer case locks output at 50/50.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:08 AM

update--- so the radiator shop towed my h3 to their shop, they removed and tested the radiator and just as I told them- the trans cooler ruptured into the coolant side of the radiator, so they replaced it, and flushed the coolant , replaced the radiator hoses, thermostat, and they flushed the trans, so now they have a clean start but the h3 still has no reverse and slips in forward , I will call them tomorrow to see if they will rebuild my trans or replace it-- all under the radiator warranty of course .

Quick Reply: ATF in my coolant