PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03-07 vs 08-09

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Default Buy 08-09: What to look for?

What are some things I should look for/inspect when buying an 08/09 H2?

What should I be concerned with & what should I let slide, if anything?

Thanks ahead of time.

Original question here:

Is there any reason not go with an 08/09 H2?

I owned an 2003 H2 from 2003 through 2012. I ended up buying a 2500 Ram & it's just garbage & a huge step down. I really miss the quality ride of my 03, but the 08/09s have a lot of safety features, slightly better fuel economy, more HP/Torque, etc etc.

Is there any downside (ignoring price)?

I'm worried more or less about major problems, like the air ride suspension being a problem to maintain (not sure how hard it would be to do a swap back to coils & how that would ride) or how comfortable the seats are.

Has anyone here driven both to give a fair comparison?

Thanks! I really look forward to getting back behind an H2 & ditching Chrysler.

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 10-21-2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Taking H2Miami's advice, lol.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:18 PM

Anyone?

Old 10-18-2014, 06:00 PM

There's a million plus references online and through the multiple HUMMER forums by using the search function. 08/09 has better drivetrain and interior for the 2 biggest things.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:25 PM

If it wasn't for the $$ difference I'd be driving an '08/'09. I'm not aware of any downsides, other than some people prefer the older style interior - it's more rugged appearing and less soccer mom SUVish. My '06 is the only H2 I've ever owned, so no "real" experience with the newer ones. I just couldn't justify the 50% +/- price difference.

The air suspension thing is a question of options, not year.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 PM

I agree, the price dealerships want for 08/09's is absolutely ridiculous. I do prefer the "first gen" interior over the newer interior. I just wished it didn't sound like a commercial jet taking off when you hit bumps.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:42 PM

I like much better the 03-07 tough interior ...
However after almost 4 years of owning a 06 still can use to the noisy everything inside the cabin .. everywhere you touch makes a sound , whihc wont happens with 08-09

Beside that it is almost the same truck , some said the engine and trans is better on the 08-09 also Mpg is sightly higher

You cant go wrong with any of 2 , it is more a financial decision ...

I would change the question to what to check before buy any of the 2 models

BTW best thing can happens is the GM never built the Hummer again .. without new models coming out our trucks will always looks as the top of the line

Last edited by H2Miami; 10-19-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The price isn't a huge deterrent. I can just trade in my truck & it shouldn't cost much, if anything out of pocket.

H2Miami, I know what you're talking about with cabin noise. I had issues like that towards the last year of ownership w/ it. It really annoyed me. Loved the vehicle, but the noise level was extremely high & I couldn't get anyone to set the front windshield properly so it entirely sealed.

I've looked on lynch hummer's old site concerning the year to year changes.

I'll probably end up going w/ an 08/09 as I can't ignore the safety improvements, better engine & interior that won't rattle.

I think after reading what you guys wrote & knowing what my needs are, what should I be looking for in the 08/09 models?

Old 10-30-2014, 10:06 PM

I just posted about this a couple of days ago! There is NO comparison, PERIOD! UNLESS you Don't want an Engine that will run circles around the old 6.0 OR you Don't want an Interior that is soooooooo Much Nicer (if you want to call that soccer mom, well ok) but its like NITE & day between the Old Version & the 08'-09' Models! JMO! But, i did buy the 08' (i had an 04') because of 2 reasons, one was the Bermuda Blue was the ONLY color i was looking for (only made it in 08') & the Other reason is the 08' & 09' are Identical other than the 09' is about 10k more & that's ONLY because it's one year newer! GL! Just drive each one & come back & give us YOUR Opinion!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:11 PM

As a matter of fact, there's a 08' review on the 2nd Column on here, then you'll most likely get the Real Facts you were asking about not just opinions!

Old 11-03-2014, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by mattdillon
I just posted about this a couple of days ago! There is NO comparison, PERIOD! UNLESS you Don't want an Engine that will run circles around the old 6.0 OR you Don't want an Interior that is soooooooo Much Nicer (if you want to call that soccer mom, well ok) but its like NITE & day between the Old Version & the 08'-09' Models! JMO! But, i did buy the 08' (i had an 04') because of 2 reasons, one was the Bermuda Blue was the ONLY color i was looking for (only made it in 08') & the Other reason is the 08' & 09' are Identical other than the 09' is about 10k more & that's ONLY because it's one year newer! GL! Just drive each one & come back & give us YOUR Opinion!
Originally Posted by mattdillon
As a matter of fact, there's a 08' review on the 2nd Column on here, then you'll most likely get the Real Facts you were asking about not just opinions!
Thanks. I've settled on an H2. I think I found what I want. I just have to hope it doesn't sell. The truck I'm trading in is a 2012, so hopefully, the KBB value will hold up & I can basically do a swap.