PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing rear shocks 2006 H3

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Default Removing rear shocks 2006 H3

Hey guys, I replaced my front shocks couple weekends go (Made a video which I hope to upload to youtube soon). Now I am replacing my rear shocks and run into a small dilemma. I am not sure how to remove the top nuts. They are overlapped a bit by the shock itself and I can not figure out how to get to them with a wrench. Has anyone done these in the past and can offer a suggestion? Also do I need another wrench to hold the top so they do not spin or can I just unscrew these?

Old 06-20-2015, 12:55 PM

Remove shock from lower mount, with the lower removed you can pivot the shock so you can use a socket and extension on the upper nuts. GL

Old 06-20-2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Remove shock from lower mount, with the lower removed you can pivot the shock so you can use a socket and extension on the upper nuts. GL
much appreciated ! I was wondering if that would work but was afraid to try to remove them and then not be able to finish the job . Do you know if I need another wrench on top to remove the top nuts? I tried sticking my finger up there to feel if there is a nut or something but couldn't. Felt lots of rust so if there is something there it might be all rusted away.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:03 PM

I replaced mine when I purchased my rig a few years back, and I think they were bolts that came out. The nuts are spot welded in removable clips in the upper mount. If the bolts break, you would need to install new bolts/nuts.. Spray all the threads with pb blaster and work the bolts, back and forth a little at a time before you remove them. GL

Last edited by hummerz; 06-20-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
I replaced mine when I purchased my rig a few years back, and I think they were bolts that came out. The nuts are spot welded in removable clips in the upper mount. If the bolts break, you would need to install new bolts/nuts.. Spray all the threads with pb blaster and work the bolts, back and forth a little at a time before you remove them. GL
I am not sure I know what that means but spot welded I think means I don't need to hold them from the top. I did spray with PB blaster yesterday. I hope I can find an open store tomorrow if I need new ones. Thanks again.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:24 PM

Nuts don't move unless they break apart from the clip. If so, just bolt and nut those new shocks. GL

Last edited by hummerz; 06-21-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:21 PM

I did my shocks about 2 months ago.
The problem I had was that those clips were very rusty and snapped when I tried removing the bolts.
I ended up having to cut the bolts in half to get the shock s off.
I installed the new shocks using new bolts, lock washers and nuts.
The removal was hell, the install went smooth.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
I did my shocks about 2 months ago.
The problem I had was that those clips were very rusty and snapped when I tried removing the bolts.
I ended up having to cut the bolts in half to get the shock s off.
I installed the new shocks using new bolts, lock washers and nuts.
The removal was hell, the install went smooth.

This was my exact same experience with the rear shock replacement. I had to go under the wheel well with a sawzall to cut the clip and bolt. Major pain in the A$$.

I ended up replacing the clips with grade 8 nuts and bolts.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 AM
rsc

Just curious, but should you be making a how-to video about replacing the shocks if you don't know how? Its really kinda basic. ???

Old 06-29-2015, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
Just curious, but should you be making a how-to video about replacing the shocks if you don't know how? Its really kinda basic. ???
I know this may come as a surprise to you but I am capable of learning new things ! so what I didn't know yesterday I may know tomorrow

Quick Reply: Removing rear shocks 2006 H3